No more individual patches for Windows 7 and 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Microsoft is so incompetent. Besides 7 and a maybe the lower base of 8 users like myself, the least they could do is (and i would purchase the whole disc) is combine the whole updates all at once. The way they've handled it is been nothing short of disgusting.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Microsoft never really cared the users, and always makes the minimum necessary to produce an OS and to sell it, knowing that most part of customers are not aware or careless about system security and efficiency. The others can make do.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

are they? ;)
    strong words.

but yes, a cumulative service pack would have benefit. but for now and 2023 eol it dont make sense no more. anyhow there exist AIO update packages for some languages provided from volunteers. i dont see the need to blame anyone here.

and in fact MS wants to return to yearly packages for windows 11, maybe for win10 also, dont know.

for windows 7 - it wont have survived that long - my opinion - if there wont be the ESU option, legal or illegal. and i consider a lot of private users using ESU patch. the question about ESU is if MS will extend ESU for another 3 years so win7 + ESU will last longer than a regular windows 10 (some builds will last until 2028/2029). so the current legal stand of a regular win7 is 2020 with > 800 unpatched security issues, increasing.

they did until Mr N. appears. MS had a lot of trials, and even more errors.
    install windows, but avoid any services from them in private, even a ms account.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No sense in beating a dead horse over that but it's perfectly sensible. Microsoft has always had a policy and habit to run away from previous versions leaving those users little choice to look at them as anything but a conglomerate who likes to brag about the future but leaves viable working systems they once touted as innovative and constructive behind as well as the users and businesses that settled on them, and quite effectively EVEN NOW in most instances. If that was true they would easily revisit those systems and bring them reasonably into a better functioning and safer state rather then giving up and demanding users/customers take their word that the next build series is what is best.

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

8. anon

anon Registered Member

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. JNicoll23

JNicoll23 Registered Member

I'm still getting one update a month (for W8.1) albeit only the (possibly nearly useless) MSRT one. Do other people see those too?

11. plat

plat Registered Member

Didn't know exactly where to post this but I just read on another forum that the loophole for the free upgrade to Windows 10 on a Windows 7 or 8 machine is now closed. You'll have to buy a new license or go without activation.

Wow. Another door closed. But I guess 7 years past the official 2016 announcement is kind of plenty of time to move along.

12. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

thats offline scan, not more. maybe defender signatures, dotNET and some other, not win81 related, too.
    Edge 109 (for win7/8 ) got an urgent update because security is heavily undermined.
    there wont exists an ESR channel like win7 had. and win 7 got no (paid) ESR period 4 up to 2024. 3 years now, and dead.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I saw that earlier. As Windows 7 was released in 2009 I was shocked they let this go as long as they did.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oddly AND staying true to form Oddball, i skipped Windows 7 and waited for Windows 8. But a MASSIVE Windows 7 crowd never let go of that highly desired O/S. It must have been vastly durable for the masses.

Sad that Micro just doesn't believe or find it to their bustling bottom line to revisit these FRONT DOORS into the Windows 7 successors. Currently i still employ Windows 8.1 and my Windows 10 is been collecting dust ever since i bought it brand new from DELL.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

7 was one of the greatest things they ever did. I probably would have kept it longer if I didn't work in IT. I'm not hating 11 too much as long as the hardware supports it. Except the start menu. That still sucks.

16. plat

plat Registered Member

Yeah the Windows 11 Start menu leaves a lot to be desired; namely half of it's dead space. Can't resize it. But the 23H2 is running super-well on here, back to the way it worked when it first came out 2.5 years ago as a DEV build. Hope it stays like that. :cautious:

Here's an article on the closure of the loophole, in case anyone hasn't read up on it yet. The title says it all, basically. There's a PCWorld one but that has a link to the Windows Central article that uBlock Origin blocks so I didn't post that one. :cautious:

https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...let-windows-7-keys-activate-windows-11-and-10

17. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

18. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I continued to use Seven till last August ( naturally I had also 10 ). Then I bought an all in one with 11, I like and I' m happier with it. For home users there is not a great difference from a Windows version to another, but I find 11 more useful and graphically nicer than 7, and also the all the settings Gui are more rational and friendly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.