No more individual patches for Windows 7 and 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 15, 2016.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow, major change! Interesting, thanks for posting.

This basically takes away our ability to pick and choose which updates we want to install or block then. Not very nice... A lot of folks will be plenty annoyed by this I'm sure.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

It was coming. Microsoft hasn't released a new Service Pack for Windows 7 in years.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

For sure all telemetry updates included so no chance to pick at will... :cautious:

5. NormanF

And if there's a new free upgrade offer to Windows 7/8 - can't deselect it as well.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, yet another attempt to remove control and power from the user... This probably somehow makes MS's life easier too, else they wouldn't bother. But still, not a good thing for us.

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

You can probably still extract cab's or MSI installer packages some how.

8. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

So this is security + non-security patches, and starting in October 2016 every monthly update will apply all patches that were released since October 2016?

Uh, so does this mean the Monthly Rollups described in the first paragraph above will also come to include updates from *before* October 2016? When they say "Monthly Rollup becomes fully cumulative" does that mean it will eventually include *all* updates *ever* released?

@Mister X: Well, in addition to the Monthly Rollups described above they also describe a "security-only updates" path:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

The freedom days of picking updates with M$ looks like it's over. I believe they call it micromanagement. Time to starting looking for an Apple computer for my wife. I've had my fill with Microsoft. Believe me, it so nice not to put up with all this Microsoft BS on the Big Mac and I can still use my Security Software with it. :D :D

10. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

If it is strictly security and nothing else then that is good, but who knows with microsoft :rolleyes:

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well from what they describe the only change for me is where the updates come from. Only thing I install are Security and .net now.

12. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Same here

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The most absurd thing is that Microsoft says " This resulted in fragmentation where different PCs could have a different set of updates installed leading to multiple potential problems ". Microsoft in the years released many buggy updates that caused a lot of problems, and then it had to release patched updates to try to solve it, and now the responsibility is of the users that want choose the updates !! May be is better to switch to Linux than suffer the power of MS !

I always found absurd the legal condition of Windows contract: I buy only the license, in my pc I have only the authorization to use Windows and only as MS wants, I can't modify anything... If I buy a car I can paint, modify, tune it like I want ( respecting the safety ), for Microsoft I neither could modify the color of Start button !!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Same for me , for a long time now.

Unless I can pick up the security and .Net updates alone , I will be going with Plan B ...
    ..... which is to ignore all MS Updates .

The MS bulletin quoted above is vague and imprecise ..... no surprises there !!

15. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

It appears - though not clear, that the three monthly rollups will be considered important and recommended (pre-ticked). No need for the optional category any more :confused: so there is a high probability there will be a great deal of not needed bloat, spyware and adware in the non-security bundle.

They state that all their operating systems will be using the cumulative update model by year end - an indirect way of saying the W10 update model is the preferred model. The policy does not go so far as to say that the W10 forced updates aspect will be implemented but unfortunately it may be where they are heading.

We are assuming that we can choose only the bundle(s) that suit us, e.g. I would prefer to only take the security bundle and ignore the other two, but that may not be the case. Delay maybe (re: W10 model), but not ignore.

I think this is a veiled attempt to get W7 and W8 users to migrate to W10. Controlling updates and keeping adware at bay was keeping a lot of users from switching. It is not a subtle move :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: . I expect businesses will take issue with it. The rest of us have no sway with the behemoth.

16. NormanF

Aut contraire. I've modified the theme and the start button appearance and I've set up Windows the way I want. In Windows 10, my only choice would be to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise to retain the level of control I expect.

17. ProTruckDriver

I've said many times, Microsoft is Hell Bent to get everyone to Win 10. I'll bet ten to one M$ has more up their sleeve to screw with the Win 7 & 8 users. :mad:

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Based on past experience, I have to agree.

19. I would not go for a copied OS, go for the original, go for linux

20. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I missed this when I first read the new policy ...

"Windows Update will publish only the Monthly Rollup – the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update. "

You have to go the the MS Catalog if you want the security-only update. For those who only want this bundle, it makes the case for turning off the WU service in W7/8.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

After reading the linked page again, it does seem like MS's agenda is to implement the cumulative update approach on Win 7 and 8 now. That might not be so bad, but their excuse that it's somehow bad if some people block some updates and some don't is absurd. Having the ability to approve or block individual updates is what has made things work in Windows 7 for many many people. If you shove everything down everyone's throat then there are bound to be even more problems. As usual, they're probably doing what's convenient for them at the expense of the user and everyone else.

22. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Yes, as mentioned in the TechNet article, the Security-only update will "only include new security patches that are released for that month", and can be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog (which will be updated to remove the ActiveX requirement so it can work with any browser).
    And yes, you could set Windows Update to "Never check for updates", but I see no need for that. Setting Windows Update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" would suffice. That way you keep the alert for updates.

23. ProTruckDriver

Yep, M$ is pushing me to wiping Microsoft and installing Linux. I have to read up more on Linux before doing this, I don't know too much about it.
    Exactly. Some updates didn't work on my HP computer, had to put them in the hidden file. Computer worked fine.

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Meh, the time to leave Windows has come sooner than I anticipated.

That was my impression yes.
    Imho more like if you don't migrate to W10 we'll turn 7 and 8 into 10. Probably a big reason for MS wanting everyone on 10 is a lot more telemetry and adware, both meaning more income for MS.
    If Mohammed will not to to the Telemetry, the Telemetry must come to Mohammed. :(

25. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

Actually I have been annoyed how Microsoft is doing this too, I have left Windows 8.1 because of all the stories I have read about telemetry and updates, I had issues before with updates I could not update to the newer updates of Windows 8.1 at one point then it started working again last year. right now I'm running a old release candidate (RC) of Windows 8 to escape the tracking of Microsoft, then again it won't work forever so I have plans to run ZorinOS at one point, maybe the start of 2017 I will do that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.