No more FDISR as we know it? Im confused.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The new version FDISR - Rescue will only allow one snapshot. No archives, no freeze, no multiple snapshot.

2. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I just got the HDS FDISR version with Freeze. It's Build 202. What I don't know is what's not fixed in 202 that was in 205.

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Just saw this thread. Very interesting. Just a couple things that I would like to input on.

1. I saw mention that HDS site can not be trusted. Please tell me why you can say something like this. I doubt there is any truth behind it.

2. I will bet you guys will be talking later and not really miss FDISR as you know it. One thing goes away another appears this is how it's always been.

3. Someone said HDS support is not good. Please look at their forum. I did not see very much bad support there have you? Have you had bad support through their portal?

4. Software changes for example Ewido. I had lifetime ewido license but I didn't switch to AVG at all. I showed the support with my not using AVG as many others did.

EDIT: 5. Why all the bad talk about HDS when Leapfrog had just as much to do with it I assume? Just because a vendor changes a product doesn;t make them a bad vendor that goes for LF and HDS.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

5. Peter2150

1. I think the problem here is the website describes FDISR as the product was, not as HDS is now delivering it. They need to fix that.

2. Probably right, but not as of yet. I agree Rollback is close, but still not yet the product.

3. I agree, when I've needed it, it has been fine.

4. Yep, fact of life. Just hurts when it affects a key program.

5. Totally correct. Todd's silence is just as bad as anything HDS has done.

Much of this is a very emotional(I am guilty also) reaction. Having purchased from Raxco with maintenance on all my copies, I only just get one exe for all systems. Raxco has provided me with a ful copy of the last version. Since HDS has said I can use it in perpituity, I take that to mean if I buy a new system, and FDISR runs, I can install it. It runs well on Vista so I really don't have a worry for quite a while. Main thing is protect that exe file.

Pete

6. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

For clarity:
    1. I bought FDISR from HDS very recently.
    2. I received v3.21 build 205 (no freeze function, yes archive function)
    3. I submitted a support ticket requesting the prior version that had Freeze
    4. I received a .zip file of v3.20.202P.exe
    5. Haven't opened or installed it at this point as I'm not ready for the freeze function, and I haven't yet learned what was fixed in build 205 that might be of concern if I shift to build 202.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That update just adds the 3 freeze functions on the "Actions" menu. That's all.
    If you don't like it or can't handle it yet, just don't use it. The freeze function isn't mandatory, you are free to use it or not.
    That's why I don't understand, why HDS removed or is planning to remove it. The freeze function requires only more space on your harddisk, when you USE it.

The reason why the freeze function requires more space is that when you use a frozen snapshot, FDISR creates a file called "Freeze Storage.arx" with a volume = snapshot volume x 2.
    The reason why the volume is doubled is that the "Freeze Storage.arx" contains the actual freeze storage + the previous freeze storage and that's why the "Actions"-menu shows 3 options :
    1. Freeze = actual freeze storage
    2. Unfreeze = remove the freeze storage completely or disable it temporarily.
    3. Freeze Previous = previous freeze storage
    The file "Freeze Storage.arx" is just a special archive dedicated to a frozen snapshot and only exists when you use a frozen snapshot.
    By default the freeze storage is stored here : "C:\$ISR\0\Freeze Storage.arx", but you can store it on a second harddisk or external harddisk, if you specify the folder under Tools/Options/Freeze-tab.
    You can recognize a frozen snapshot, it has a blue star on the green or yellow arrow before the snapshot name and you can freeze only ONE snapshot.

The advantage of a frozen snapshot is that it removes any change in the frozen snapshot during reboot, just like DeepFreeze, Returnil, ShadowDefender, PowerShadow, etc. and that is called "boot-to-restore".
    What all these softwares do, is just an additional option in FDISR, all the main functions of FDISR don't exist in these softwares.
    Speed and space are more important than functions, features, possibilities and reliability to many users, because that is easier to understand. Speed and space, isn't that a hardware problem ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

According to that source, the release date is November 30. That has passed here, and nothing on the website. So what now? Not that I'm bothered really, but just intrigued as to why they haven't released it as stated.

Mind you, I did think it was an odd date to release the product right before the weekend when support probably isn't available until Monday.

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Despite several good explanations in this thread, I am still confused about the freeze function.

Could I say that basically there is no difference after reboot

a) using freeze or

b) doing a brand new snapshot, surf or download to your heart's content and then reboot into this snapshoot, copy back to primary?

In both cases any changes in the interim would be lost.

If this is correct, then freeze is somewhat more convenient to use if you intend to go back after your "adventures", ie you do not expect to keep any software downloaded and installed. In that case you would have to unfreeze first? Can you use freeze and have several other snapshots at the same time?

10. Peter2150

Freeze is good if your system is static. In my case my system is always changing, sort of a rolling target. Ergo, I don't use freeze.

Pete

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR can have upto 10 snapshots, only ONE of them can be a frozen snapshot. A frozen snapshot is marked with a blue star on the green or yellow arrow.

Once you "Freeze" FDISR creates an archive file called "Freeze Storage.arx", which contains the snapshot as it was when you frooze it. As long you don't reboot a frozen snapshot acts like a normal snapshot. If you reboot FDISR does an invisible automatic copy/update from Freeze Storage.arx to the frozen snapshot and that UNDOES any change.

So if you don't like to keep something, just reboot and it will be gone as if it was never there. If you like to keep something, use "Freeze" again and FDISR will update the freeze storage. You can also unfreeze and freeze, instead of (re-)freeze, same result.

Each time you (re-)freeze FDISR updates the actual freeze storage and also keeps the previous freeze storage and both are stored in the file "Freeze Storage.ARX". When you want the previous frozen snapshot back, you use the function "Previous Freeze". Only FDISR has that possibility, not Returnil, DeepFreeze, etc. and that's why FDISR can handle softwares that require a reboot during installation.

Freeze/Unfreeze/Freeze previous is nothing a copy/update game between a snapshot and a special archive. You can do the same with manual copy/updates between snapshots and archive.

I like 3 things about a frozen snapshot :
    1. It solves 99% of my daily problems, caused by experiments, malware or myself. I never ask myself what kind of problem it is, what caused it, how do I have to fix it, ... ? No research, no reading, no questions required, no disaster post at Wilders. I just reboot, problem fixed. Do you have any idea how much time I save this way ?
    FDISR is a real troubleshooter in DEEDS, FDISR is my personal Wilders.

2. Other FDISR-users use a rollback snapshot/archive, but that requires TWO reboots and my logical mind says that TWO reboots require MORE TIME than ONE reboot. Another daily time saver. Being lazy makes you always smarter.

3. Besides removing malware, a frozen snapshot is also a SUPER cleaning tool and gets rid of all the garbage objects, caused by any software installed on my frozen snapshot. Instead of running a bunch of incomplete cleaning tools, which is also wasting MORE TIME a simple reboot does all that annoying routine work for me. FDISR never cleans too much, only users do that.
    I don't have to run a bunch of incomplete AV/AS/AT/AK/AR-scanners, a frozen snapshot removes ANY malware, known, unknown and not born yet. Do you have any idea how much time I save this way daily ?

All these things happen during EACH reboot automatically. I never had such a clean computer in my life and I have to do NOTHING to accomplish this, except a few mouse-clicks and this is just my first defense.

And I'm still not happy, but what I really want, doesn't exist yet. So I wait patiently ... for a company, that doesn't create the n'th scanner, HIPS, etc. but creates an entire new software. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The infamous FD-ISR Rescue is available now. See details and screenshots here.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And a note I've found in their Knowledge Base:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.