No more FDISR as we know it? Im confused.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi Long View, I'm sure if I looked at a lot of applications you use, and the designers decided to make major changes that drastically reduced their functionality in the way that you use them, I probably wouldn't see what the fuss was either.
    For instance, let's say laptop designers said, "ah hell, let's do away with wireless connectivity." That decision would likely cause a bit of fuss! Based on your logic I could say, I can't see what all the fuss is, since I don't use wireless. Or to use a more real example, bandwidth throttling on IP's in conjuction with "fair usage policy" that's creating a lot of fuss. Maybe I can't see why, cause I don't p2p. The point being, I'm not gonna tell the p2p comminity they should pipe down and shut their traps cause change happens, and anyway it doesn't affect me ;)

The loss of freeze in fdisr, doesn't really affect me cause I don't use it, but I can easily see how it might concern someone who does. Just in case I wanted to play dumb on that one they decided to scrap archives and reduce the snapshot count to 1, now that does affect me considerably. It's not the end of the world, life as I know it will not stop, I will have workarounds in place when I need to, but that is no reason not to voice my displeasure at the change.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

As far as I can tell the freeze bit is the only change so far ? and there are rumors that archiving may go ? or have I missed other major changes ?
    I don't recall suggesting that anyone not voice their displeasure - I was simply trying to see if I correctly understood the changes and to correct the misinformation that Returnil would not work with FD-ISR unless Returnil is turned off.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  3. tradetime

Well here's the rumour
    To do that, we will replace FirstDefense–ISR Workstation with an exclusive new product: FirstDefense-ISR Rescue. This will have features as follows:

• FirstDefense-ISR Rescue will maintain a standby bootable image of the disk
    • You can boot to the FirstDefense-ISR Rescue standby image on demand.
    • Booting to a different image will require zero rebuild time.
    • The standby boot image can be updated from the live image on demand; a differential copy engine does this very fast.
    • FirstDefense-ISR Rescue will not have the capability to make off-line archives.
    • Data files can be “anchored”; these files will remain intact regardless of restored image.
    • Files (temporary files, etc) may also be exempted from the copy process.
    • A very simple User interface
    Source of rumour

4. Long View

Thanks tradetime. Not entirely clear then how many snapshots will be possible ?
    "booting to a different image" implies a number ?

so the work around to freeze is Returnil and F1 and the work around to the loss of archives is to simply make full images containing a certain number of snapshots.

Based upon you quote though I think I can see why they are making the changes.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

In all the doom and gloom(and that was my first reaction) we are assuming Leapfrog is doing nothihg, but there website indicates differently. Also since I know many aren't going to vista as I am not, I have another good 3-4 years using the versions I already have. In 3 years who knows. Nail biting(er, posting) is really pointless.

Pete

6. tradetime

That would be down to interpretation, and my interpretation taking it in the context of the whole piece is only one snapshot. But that doesn't mean we can dismiss your interpretation, since I don't work for HDS, yours is as valid as mine.
    Yes there are workarounds, I already use Returnil, and while it invalidates the "Boot to Snapshot" command, I don't find that a problem.
    As workarounds go it may still be possible to export a snapshot which could allow one to keep more than one, though it would be a pain to do it that way, as you'd have to be continuously importing and exporting.

It affects me in that I run 3 different OS envoironments.
    1) A very light work envoironment. OS and apps needed for work
    2) A much heavier Admin and recreation envoironment. OS and many apps for admin and Play
    3) And an alternate Operating system.

Obviously all these have archived backups
    Another workaround for me failing finding a product that replaces the functionality of fdisr would be upgrading my Imaging system and making much more use of images.
    So as I said earlier, not the end of life, but a pita nonetheless.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Wonder how this will work out.....

Now Possible to “sandbox” new applications before installing

8. tradetime

Very true Peter, and we've probably done the fd-isr / hds topic to death now :D Time to wait and see.

9. Long View

Pete you really are an optimist. Do you really think Vista will be ready as a serious OS in 3 to 4 years ?

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D :D :D :D LOL Nice one.

11. Peter2150

Well, I for sure would hope so. By then Tb disks will be routine, CPU's will be faster, so a pig will seem like a lynx:D

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Within 3-4 years Windows 7 will be out.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have to wonder if Todd is somewhere reading all of this stuff just smiling and being patient, and saying to himself, "Just wait till they see what I have in store next!" (Well, I can dream, can't I, and some dreams do come true!) :doubt:

Acadia

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm in this growing group of regulars who are staying right where they are with Windows XP and "NEVER" to vista no matter what. Now if Vienna proves it can replace XP, then well maybe then, but no wasting time or money on some intermediate O/S version that you can have anyway on XP for no cost. Plenty of freeware/open source vista emulation apps for XP and their still growing.

Plus thanks to vista a huge number of vendors bit the dust and ran for mergers or complete sellouts while the rest of them wrestled with time, effort, and issues just to make their products compatible with a second-rate $M o/s. Sorry if any vista users might feel offended, but it cannot compete with XP or it's vendor support in security and about everything else.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I guess this is why the XP support has been extended because there's still such a strong following for the OS with people either not upgrading to Vista or if they have, they've regraded.

16. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm convinced that Todd has read all our reactions, he doesn't talk much but he sure reads this forum and certainly now.
    I would do exactly the same. Let's hope he has something better than FDISR in petto. If he has he will enjoy our posts. Keep in mind that FDISR is still the very best year in, year out and I can't find any better alternative. Such a brain can always do better.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  17. Peter2150

Boy do I agree.

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

He Todd can actually create something BETTER than FirstDefense, I'll be first in line to buy it! I can only stand in awe thinking of a program that would be better than FD.

Acadia

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

That's wishfull thinking,there is no evidence that he has some nice cooking behind his back,i guess he flew all the way to the Bahama's to spend some money and enjoy his well earned new live.

20. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Steve, I ended up getting the current HDS build 205. It can archive but not Freeze. That's okay with me. But if you want the freeze function, the prior build is available from HDS by submitting a support ticket request.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are dreaming again Erik!:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As long they provide the freeze function, I have no problem with HDS.
    Keep in mind, when the Freeze function is removed, there is NO boot-to-restore possible anymore and that means that FDISR cannot work as DeepFreeze, Returnil, ... (= boot-to-restore) anymore.
    If you want a boot-to-restore solution in FDISR without Freeze, you have to combine FDISR with DeepFreeze, Returnil, ...

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I do. Just like many others.
    Can't help but sorely regret that HDS ever approached Leapfrog as FD-ISR's chief distributors. They obviously had another agenda in mind when they made an offer to them. It's being reported that HDS support is also less then cordial and helpful by any stretch. Everyone makes mistakes but i fear this one is taking a toll on potential customers who otherwise would be flooding orders for FD-ISR in it's original genuine form before it was dismembered.

24. Peter2150

Curious as to the source of your assertion it was HDS that approached Leapfrog.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It might take awhile but i'm looking for the thread right now. If i recall accurately, Todd posted mentioning they were approached by HDS and there were additional remarks regarding that agreement.

UPDATE:

Here it is.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1027574&postcount=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.