No more FDISR as we know it? Im confused.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The Freeze function of FD-ISR, albeit slower, is more flexible than those of Returnil, Deep Freeze and the likes.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I'm sorry I'm missing the point - how can it be more flexible ? I install FD-ISR and
    have a primary. so I then make a secondary snap shot and use returnil to freeze the secondary. if I want to make a 3rd snap shot I do so and if I want to go to the primary I can. so in what way is the original more flexible ? I'm not beng argumentative here - I simply can not see where the benfit is. I do realise that
    I have to re-boot in a slightly different way but that is of no consequence to me.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u are using Returnil and FDISR together.

Both of them modify MBR as far as I know. How u can run them together?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Long View

Sorry I haven't used FD-ISR for a few months but when I did I simply installed FD-ISR and then installed Returnil to a snapshot. I did the same with DeepFreeze
    6 and apart from a slightly different boot procedure - having to use the menu I think -- anyway it worked.

@aigle - I'm now installing FD-ISR and with version 3.20.202 the pre-boot hook was moved from the mbr to the boot sector

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Please understand that I'm not a FD-ISR user, but I've been reading the forums and the help files.
    Unfreeze = unbind the Frozen Snapshot from the Freeze Storage.
    Refreeze = make a new Freeze Storage from the current Frozen Snapshot.
    Freeze Previous = copy/update from (old) Freeze Storage to Frozen Snapshot.
    The freeze previous option is useful for testing changes during several reboots. AFAIK, neither DF nor Returnil offer this option.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

All I though was that these might not be used together!

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The two latest FDISR versions don't use MBR anymore, they use PBR and that makes it possible to use Returnil.
    Returnil works with FDISR, but you have to turn it OFF, if you want to boot to another snapshot. I didn't like that and a frozen snapshot doesn't have that problem. Unfortunately many users consider speed and less space as something important, I don't. I can't do anything with speed and less space, because they are NOT functions.
    The missing freeze option in FDISR is a problem for me, but HDS is also planning to remove ARCHIVES and that is killing FDISR.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not sure but from posts of Eric I guess that freeze function of FDISR is not a breeze.
    Shadow utilities might be more easier and user friendly for system freezing.

Also freeze of FDISR will not survive KillDisk but some shadow products like Returnil, PowerShadow and ShadowDefender will.( Good to know if someone want to test malware in freezed FDISR).

9. Long View

Thanks - I hadn't realized that. all I would do is make a new snap shot - run it for a few days and then delete. For me freeze is to keep things the same.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally forgot that.
    U mean to turn off system protection?
    FDISR without archives is of little use. Just my opinion.

11. ErikAlbert

Freeze is nothing but an automatic copy/update from archive to snapshot, forget about freeze, freeze = copy/update.
    Archives make FDISR special and unique, no other ISR-software has archives and that is exactly my problem with other ISR-softwares.

12. Long View

Erik I have just installed FR-ISR and made a secondary snap shot. Then installed Returnil onto the secondary and turned on protection. To boot to the primary all I had to do was reboot and press F1 and chose primary. Getting back to my secondary was easier in that I chose secondary and rebooted and did not have to wait for F1. I did not have to turn off protection.

EDIT - The loss of archives would be more serious - But one of the reasons I stopped using FD-ISR was that it was only taking about a minute to restore a full system image. I like keeping things simple and having 5 or six full images which could be restored made more sense for me.

13. ErikAlbert

Try the function "Boot to snapshot", F1 is not the problem.

14. ErikAlbert

Alot of users don't see the difference between normal and not normal.
    I'm telling you that FDISR isn't working properly along with Returnil and that's why I don't use that combination.
    Many users found it normal that ATI didn't restore all snapshots of Rollback either. Pffft.

15. Long View

I agree that boot to snapshot doesn't work but so what - F1 does. the point is there is no need to turn off protection. As work arounds go Returnil and F1 should satisfy most

16. ErikAlbert

I don't like to wait for "F1", when I boot to another snapshot.
    Frozen snapshot = Returnil and I reboot in less than 2 minuts from desktop to desktop. That is fast enough for me.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I have the version from Raxco, and whilst it does have the Freeze option, I don't use it so wouldn't miss it in a modified form such as what HDS is offering.

And I don't use Returnil or any software of its kind.

18. ErikAlbert

Member "Chris" has already a FDISR without freeze, but I think he has still archives.
    The next step of HDS is to remove the archives and multiple snapshots and to create "FirstDefense-ISR Rescue", which has only ONE snapshot and then every FDISR-user will be happy, because it's faster, simpler and uses less space.

That's what many users do : they have old, slow and small hardware and then they blame the software for it.

19. ErikAlbert

FDISR won't survive killdisk or the destructive DEL-command, but I didn't buy FDISR for that purpose, otherwise I would have replaced FDISR already. You don't solve security problems with FDISR.
    ISR = Immediate System Recovery. Everybody seems to think that security = recovery or vice versa.
    Anti-Executable is supposed to stop killdisk on my computer and I hope it does, I never had much faith in security softwares.
    That's why I depend so much on recovery, they don't fail and fix the problem.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Do you have faith in yourself to try prevent getting such nasties in the first place? And I don't mean relying on recovery software.

The point I'm getting at is if you're having to think a great deal about how security software or recovery programs can get you out of a tight spot, I query what you're doing to get into that position in the first place. :) Unless you're a malware researcher - of course, that's a different story.

21. ErikAlbert

People, including me, make too many mistakes and that is very human. One wrong download or one wrong click and I'm screwed. Security programs contain also human mistakes, called bugs and they are much more complex and have a much more difficult job to do than an Image Backup software, that's why IB don't fail that much.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

One very important lesson i found over the years is that just when you're assured you have finally latched on to a useful and expert designed software, thats when the wisest choice is to preserve that version and keep it, not let it get upgraded over if it can be helped, because if i learned anything in all my experiences with excellent apps you finally can confidently depend on, thats when you MUST make provision to retain that version for future use again. Too many things can happen and even the best of program releases can without warning fall to some change thats not as desirable or useful which you had before.

23. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

That's probably how the designers of the Titanic viewd the need to consider design provision for lifeboats, and we all know how that story ended ;)

24. Long View

Ah ! but the Titanic was sailing to the "dark side". would a boat sailing on "golden pond" still need as many life boats ? listening to many on this forum they would have life preservers and life boats even when taking a bath.

Just to bring this almost back OT - Having looked at the new FD-ISR I still can't see what all the fuss is about. Time moves on and so should users.
    Returnil and F1 will be acceptable to the vast majority - sorry Eric but pressing F1 will not be an issue to most people. I know you don't care but others need to be told that FD-ISR works well enough with Returnil or Deepfreeze

25. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I hope we're not assuming automatic improvement comes with the forward movement of time. We could just as well assume automatic decline. I'll wait to see what we might not know about the new product. So far I'm not excited about the new product, but I'll gracefully wait for the unknown. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.