No luck recovering boot drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kaocat, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaocat

kaocat Registered Member

I have been using Acronis to back up my drives and verifying the backups. Finally, when I need it, it doesn't work. When using the Acronis recovery option, my computer reboots. The Acronis loader then starts. I get a blue screen with a window titled "Operation Progress". There is nothing in this window except another blue screen. Nothing else happens for at least 20 minutes until I reboot manually. I do have the latest build of Acronis True Image 10. I have tried to contact Acronis with absolutely no luck. Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

At least once a week I read that someone has relied on verified backups, only to find that when time comes to Recover, the recovery fails.

Where do you keep your backups? If you have another drive, you could copy them to it and see if you can do a successful recovery. I'm only suggesting this because another user was successful when he did this.

In future you should do a test restore to a spare drive to be sure that your backups will work when restored. And I've been told that it is not obvious that when I say do a test restore I should also say that you need to boot the restored drive to make sure it boots. :)

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You might review my restore guide (link below) and see if you are making all the right choices.

DwnNdrty has some good advice. Failure to proof your restore works causes lots of pain.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

You didn't mention what your os system is. But if you got windows xp pro, this is what I think happen, during your restoration the drive letters were changed, it has happen to me before a couple of times. The only way I ever fixed this problem was with a program called "paragon justboot corrector". You can tryout the demo which you can download and burn into a selfboot cd. When you bootup with it, it will scan your computer for all bootable os systems on your hard drive, from there you can find out what your windows system drive letter is (it should be c:, unless you originally installed it some where else), if it does not match what you know it should be than you know you got a problem. The reason your computer hangs up at the windows starting screen is because it is looking for next bootup files in the wrong drive.
    I believe your image backups are ok, in my expierence if the backup completes without errors and checks good when you verify it, it's good.I don't know how to prevent the drive letter form changing , because it happen to me twice in 4 restores reason unknown to me.
    Some suggestions from other posts are repair installation, redo the image, install in other partitions, fixmbr etc etc.but I never got it fixed that way. You need to change the drive letters in your unbootable registry. I just use paragon justboot corrector for that, there are free ways to do it also but require knowlege of working in the repair console with dos commands.

5. kaocat

kaocat Registered Member

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately, I made it worse. I did restore to a spare drive and successfully booted from that. I then went to restore to the C drive and again it hung up - only this time, it made my C drive completely useless. I'm considering reinstalling Windows on this. Your advice about checking it before needing it is Perfect. If I did that, I wouldn't be in trouble now.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Are you saying that you cannot get TureImage to run in the Linux mode so you cannot complete a restore?

Have you made a TI Recovery CD? Did you try booting from that in Full and Safe modes?

7. kaocat

kaocat Registered Member

I am running Windows XP Professional. I did reinstall Windows on my C drive so I can still boot from it. Now Acronis TrueImage 10.0 states that it cannot find any hard drives on my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.