No Internet Access

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Paladin, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Registered Member

Hi I'm new here.

Let me begin telling you about my computer. I am running Win XP, Internet Explorer 7, Norton 2005 Firewall with up dates and Xsoftspyse.

I just down loaded the newest version of NOD32, V 3.

After installing everything looked fine however, I could not log onto internet. All I got was a connecting message when trying but after 10 minutes I gave up.

My email runs fine through Outlook Express. After countless uninstalls and reinstalls and 3 hours on the phone with Eset I've just about given up. They had me search for any files still on the computer in re nod32 or eset and manually delete them. Also went to regedit and clean every thing up refering to same. Still no success. The last thing Eset said to me was uninstall Norton Firewall. Wow! Isn't that always the case? They always blame Norton for everything.

Seems strange to me that all 3 of the programs I mentioned earlier have worked in perfect harmony for at least 3 years.

Another strange thing is there is still a reference to NOD32 from the old version still in the Add/Delete window that says NOD32 Antivirus System and says it is 15.63 mb in size. And, I can not delete it as there is not delete program associated with it. That's probably because I was told to manually remove the programs earlier.

Hope someone can help. Thanking You in Advance.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , let's start from your setup , which is causing the problems , in my opinion:

First , XsoftSpy used to considered rogue antispyware . However (IMO) this product does nothing and its vendor should not be trusted , so you'd better first uninstall it . Even if you may run newer version (not considered rogue) , with or without it you can not be more protected .

Second , As far as I know any ESET product is incompatiable with any Symantec product . Norton 2005 is old version , so I strongly recommend you to uninstall it .

1. Uninstall XsoftSpy from Control Panel -> Add/Remove program
    2. Reboot
    3. Uninstall Norton 2005 Personal firewall
    4. Reboot
    5. Make sure you enable Windows Firewall from Control Panel -> Windows Firewall
    6. Visit nothing but Symantec's web site to download and run Norton removal tool:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid
    7. Run the utility you just downloaded and make sure Norton is gone
    8. If you have ESET Antivirus v3 , uninstall it from Control Panel -> Add/Remove program and reboot
    9. Since you mention you have entries for NOD32 v2 in Add or Remove programs' list , download v2.70.39 for Home users and install it + after that uninstall it to clear any possible leftovers
    10. After you uninstall 2.7 , manually delete C:\Program files\ESET

Now you just need to decide what program(s) you wish to run :
    ESET NOD32 2.7
    ESET Antivirus 3.0 + Windows Firewall
    ESET Antivirus 3.0 + 3rd party firewall
    ESET Smart Security (www.esetsmartsecurity.com)

You already have Windows Firewall running , so all you need to do is to install the product you want :thumb:

3. Paladin

Paladin Registered Member

Thanks Hi Tech Boy. Your recomendations will be carried out to the fullest.

4. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

also, if all else fails, then most probably the eset miniport driver is mighty borked.

(it's what the internet traffic flows through before being inspected by the firewall, untill finally "released" to your normal network/modem)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.