No Icon Cache?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Ok, i'll try it when i get on next :).
    Thanks for not giving up.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

No problem .. Coolio10. :)

3. Coolio10

It worked! Some are still missing their icons but now they actually work. :).

:thumb: to you.

4. Phant0m

Well what should promptly work is changing the colors from 32bit to 16bit and apply and back again... :)

You are welcome.. :D

5. Coolio10

Didn't work because there was never a problem with icon cache in the first place. The icons are linked to the installer folder which i said before is missing files including icon files.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Many installers link Start Menu shortcuts to files in the C:/Windows/Installer/* folders and that appears to be the issue here.

BTW, the icon/thumbnail cache in Vista is located in

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

Those enormous icon databases is the primary reason why thumbnails are so slow compared to XP.

7. Phant0m

I know what Coolio10 has repeatedly said, but like I have said on post 34 - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1359926&postcount=34 .. "One of Coolio10 problems is with file permissions *", an explained there how I known.

Like I have said in the quote you made "Sure, ... that can be the one problem, but not the problem your experiencing with the installed shortcut files in \Start Menu\. The problem with the installed shortcut files in \Start Menu\ showing no associated application icons and with missing tabs in shortcuts properties are linked to shortcut file permissions.", has already been proving accurate. see post 53 - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1366653&postcount=53 .. which was in response to resetting shortcut file permissions. Oh, by the way, clicking on the shortcut file and nothing happens ... no error screen or launching of an application .. also sign of shortcut file permissions problem. And, I don't know about AutoCAD 2009, but the main QuickTime Player shortcut always had pointed to the installed main executable file in %PROGRAMFILES%\QuickTime for icon retrieval. And cases like this, changing the colors from 32bit to 16bit and apply and back again would promptly return the correct shortcut icons back to the original state.

.. Thumbnail Cache isn't even remotely relevant to this topic, Icon Cache on the other hand is different .. and btw, it's stored in %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer which would be accurate for whatever account you logged in under.

As for "Many installers link Start Menu shortcuts to files in the C:/Windows/Installer/* folders ..", this may be true, and even though I'm an program junkie, .. I'm yet to see an Start Menu shortcut link to %WINDIR%\Installer\ location.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

8. Coolio10

Hopefully i am right this time.

I am not sure why it would link icons to an installer directory when it could just use the users profile directory.

Attached Files:

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I was under the impression that thumbnails and icons were stored in the same database in Vista. I'm not sure what specific icons are stored in the IconCache.db file but mine is only 1.5Mb which is much smaller than the iconcache.db in XP which is usually around 10MB. o_O I haven't had an icon issue since I've been using Vista so I never had the need to delete it.

Edit: It's probably because I have "Show thumbnails instead of icons" checked in Performance Options.

Many MSI installed programs do this. A couple I have on my system are iTunes and MST Defrag.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.