No hard drives detected

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Shootist, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiedermann

Wiedermann Registered Member

Shootist: Thank you very much for your pompt response. I had been following your Thread for many days... there are quite a few similar threads on this subject of SATA Drives and Acornic True Image not recognizing the Drives at all.

I live in California, but recenlty while visiting my family in Europe, I saw in the shelves at a Software Store (candy store for me :D ) in Germany whoala!.. "Acronis True Image Version 6,0" as I "brand new product".

I had used True Image on other machines I have with older PATA drives, though on those other machines, all with removable hard drives, all I used was the "Clone Disk" feature to replicate the main drive (which contains the OS and all the programs installed, no data, then if failure I had already tested recovery by swamping the hard drive and with PATA Drives and worked the replicated drive, again under the the "Clone Drive/Disk" feature)

With the new machine I have with SATA Drive which is fixed (Win Xp Os, Sp2 all the updates and so forth, machine had a nice Blue Ray Burner and some other toys hardware wise). Creating and storing the image is not a problem. Restoring the image from the boot diskettes or CD is what simply doesn't work. (Recovery strategy would have been to replace the fixed drive then recover the image which would contain OS plus all the programs I need, data is securely back up on a daily basis through another method to ensure migration capability across a multi platform computer environment)

There is no way I would purchase Acronis True Image version 10, or version 1 million when there is no guarantee their prodcut will work at all.

Have you tested any other products out there that will recognize SATA Drives for purposes to restore an image?

Thank you

Wiedermann

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There is an Acronis plug in for version 8 which will allow you to make a Bart PE recovery CD.
    As this will use your Windows drivers and I believe more can be added the CD should see your Sata Drives and enable restores.

Well it would be worth trying while waiting for the call that never comes [​IMG]

Xpilot

3. Wiedermann

Wiedermann Registered Member

Xpilot:

I appreciate the idea, however, has already been done, tested with no positive result.

The list is long of all the things that have been tried.

As I mentioned before, I've been following this thread for sometime now, hoping I would find the solution. Seeing no response from Cust Sup, I registered onto this forum to post.

Since there is no response from Support, I took it to run more analysis on the actual software that Acronis runs. Unfortunately, their updates do not work for all machines.

In some cases, I have been able to find within the tests I've run some with positive results on versions 8 and 9 of True Image against other machines with SATA drives. Further research allowed me to determine the presence of a SATA drive is only part of the chain of causes why older versions of True Image will not work on certain machines. Every case is unique, so posting results of sequencing and so forth will run people even more upset when they come across these threads.

Today I have been able to dedicate more time to review newer versions of the software (ver 10.x. don't remember what flavor we had been reviewing today) to find a positive result on recovery.

The machine in question has a fixed SATA drive so the back up and recovery strategy is a bit different from other machines I have with removable drives (all machines with removable hard drives, those drives are PATA drives) where I have used the "Clone Disk (or drive)" feature, however on the machine with the fixed drive, I am using a Image Back Up and using True Image version 10, today I was able to isolate the differences that allowed the version to run successfully and allow the software to see the SATA drive during a test recovery.

Unfortunately, like posibly many other folks, I have to work sometimes so, until I can decicate more time to further test and continue the isolation and careful review of how that software works (work that normally Cust. Serv support groups do) I won't be able to report whether other possible complications could arise during the actual recovery stage.

The machine in question is a personal machine, so will have to sit on a shelf for a bit longer until more research can be done on this True Image software (or I might just forget about it and use at risk!)

I am happy to report the Blue Ray Burner and all the other toys the machine comes with DO work, though those other pieces don't use Acronis drivers or software :D

Kind regards

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As the thread starter has stated on a few occasions in this thread that they have "solved the problem"....We'll close their thread in order to suspense with any further dumping. If other members\users of TI have a similar support issue....Please do create a thread for assistance.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Also....one post removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.