No Browser or Mail Client Since Installing EAV4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Otis123, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis123

Otis123 Registered Member

Hi All:

I'm on a pretty fresh Intel new-build behind a D-Link DGL-4300 router on Cat5, no proxy. I'm using the Agnitum Outpost Firewall 2009 on XP3 Pro fully updated with no IIS installed. I am using OpenDNS on this rig, I disabled messenger service and have no FTP client installed yet.

All my network functionality was fine under EAV v2.7 but I finally noticed that EAV didn't automatically upgrade to new core versions and I discovered we were up to v4, so: I un-installed v2.7, rebooted and installed v4. I used typical installation, and the new product updated itself fine. I didn't have any malware or virus problems on this PC, I just wanted to upgrade to the latest version. A full system scan has come up clean.

Since upgrading I cannot connect to a website in Firefox or IE8, or fetch mail in Thunderbird. Both apps just cycle waiting for a page. I can transfer files between the problem PC and my backup rig through the router, but TSRs don't get their updates; the Outpost Firewall won't download its update scripts either. Skype won't go online.

I have tried disabling Web access protection in EAV and restarting but it doesn't make a difference. I can ping Google from a command prompt, and I performed a cmd 'netsh winsock reset' and restarted, with no success. I have enabled complete permissions for EGUI.EXE and EKRN.EXE in the Outpost firewall, and EKRN firewall rules are correct, at 'Inbound TCP on 30606 - UDP DNS - Outbound TCP all'.

I'm composing this on my backup rig with a TINY monitor, so I'm still searching the forum by saving pages and transferring them to the affected PC to review, so please forgive me if I've overlooked a prominent solution here.

Advice, anyone?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If disabling POP3/HTTP checking makes a difference, then either ekrn.exe has access to the Internet denied by the firewall or there's an interference with another tdi driver. Can you connect to the Internet after disabling the firewall?

3. Otis123

Thanks Marcos:

Disabling HTTP checking in EAV4: No change.
    Disabling Outpost Firewall: No change.
    Disabling Host Protection in Outpost: No change.

BTW, There are no other Security applications active on this machine.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  4. Marcos

If possible, try uninstalling Outpost FW for a while so that we can exclude an interference with its drivers (even though OPFW is known to work fine in tandem with EAV).

Should the problem persist, uninstall EAV and run this uninstall tool to make sure everything is removed completely. Make sure that the Internet works fine and then install EAV. If the Internet connection works, install Outpost FW.

Let us know about your findings. Should the problem persist, I'd need to get a SysInspector log for perusal.

5. Otis123

Thank you again, Marcos.

Will do -- I see there is an update for my version of OP so that is fine. I will uninstall the OP firewall and do a thorough safemode driver cleaning, then check browser functionality.
    If I'm still not on the internet, I'll uninstall EAV4, run the cleantool, safemode driver clean, SysInspector, reinstall EAV4 and re-post here at that point.

Fast help, and to the point. I appreciate you.

6. Otis123

Hey Mr Marcos,

This is where I am now:

I have uninstalled the OP firewall, run System Agent cleaning & CCleaner cleaning in safemode & run registry cleaning in normal mode via jv16 Power Tools on the advice of some old Extended Outpost Uninstall/Reinstall Instructions. I also saved a SysInspector log upon uninstallation.

Internet connectivity is restored. Thunderbird works great, and is getting the EAV stamp on the mail.

I'm prepared to reinstall the latest version of the OP firewall, but I'd like your advice about something first. I bought a license for Prevx 3.0 yesterday, and I thought that perhaps I should install that before adding the firewall back into the mix. I understand that these three will play together nice.

Do you agree? Prevx, then the OP firewall?

Thank you again. I appreciate all your time.

7. Marcos

I have never installed Prevx, but it should be ok to install it in either order.

8. Otis123

That's fine. Thanks so much for your quick response, continued follow-up, and insight. You got right to my problem, and I consider it well-resolved. Take care, Mr Marcos.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.