NNTP (port 119) support?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by b00sfuk, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b00sfuk

b00sfuk Registered Member

I'm thinking about moving from Avast to NOD32 but I want to be clear first about whether NOD32 provides protection for NNTP traffic through a newsreader (e.g. XNews). Will NNTP support appear in the future or is this already covered by what IMON does today (or can be configured to do)? Thanks.

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

As far as I know avast is the only AV that supports real-time NNTP traffic scanning. Please correct me if I am wrong.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

IMON does not scan NNTP traffic, even if you manually configure it to scan port 119. I have tried it myself, and it does not work. The only thing I can think of is that EMON *may* scan news messages if you use Outlook as your mail reader. I say "may", because I do not have Outlook to test it out.

4. .....

..... Registered Member

The soon to be released Kaspersky 2006 range will scan NNTP traffic too.

5. b00sfuk

b00sfuk Registered Member

Thanks for feedback. I'm suprised that NNTP is not covered by most AVs today. Am I missing something - it seems to me that downloading a news post through a mail client (e.g. OE, Thunderbird) is essentially the same as downloading an e-mail (and both have " file attachments"); surely you are just as likely to get a virus/worm through both routes?

I think I'll stick with Avast until I understand this better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.