NIS2006 vs NAV2006 + NPF2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by woobook, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woobook

woobook Registered Member

Which suit is light?
    I don't need "parent control" and "anti-spam" (I use hotmail).

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

IMHO you don't gain anything by buying separate products and you can always disable anything {such as AntiSpam} that you don't want in NIS 2006. You can do a Custom install of NIS and not even install the Parental Control element if you want to. Also {see attached screenshot}, if you get them separately you have redundancy in the NAV 2006 Worm Blocking which is just a "mini" version of NIS which does inbound traffic filtering only. As my screenshot shows, the NAV component which comes with NIS 2006 as a Suite, does not have Worm Blocking option since of course that is already covered by the Firewall component of NIS. Hope That Helps you make decision; if the NIS is cheaper, IMHO you might as well get that and then do a Custom installation of components you want to use ..

P.S. Please I beg others who are not interested in this topic to stay out of it; rants against NIS and against Symantec products in general are Off-Topic and unwelcome IMHO .. Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files:

3. woobook

woobook Registered Member

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

btw I think there's a version of NAV 2006+firewall, cheaper than NIS :) , just the necessary components (not on the site, but available boxed, in shops).

nicM

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I read a user review at Castle Cops that stated the parental controls had to be installed manually. Is that correct?

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Bump.

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It has been some time since I have run NIS/NPF, but it used to be something you could choose yes/no during the install process. If you did install it, you also had the choice to enable/disable. Not sure if this is still the case with the latest version. That was one aspect of NIS/NPF I really never delved into.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.