NIS/NAV 2010 Beta just started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Not by a long shot - why you ask? :D

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I imagine there's only a month or so left of the beta; they'll be looking to an early September release unless marketing have decided on a different time frame.

3. controler

controler Guest

raven

product is disabled and when clicking to express renew, it won't
    In other words clicking renew gives ) days remaining.

That is why I asked.

4. raven211

Exactly - the darn marketing... and what if it's not "finished" by September even? What if people can't boot, get BSODs or getting no updates - whatever - by then? :doubt:

5. raven211

Okay - that's simply not what decides it. ;) If it's come to an end you'll see the forum-posts locked or so and a big sticky at the top of the forum screaming "It's been released!" ;)

I would suppose you've already posted about this over at the official forums...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  6. controler

controler Guest

I have not yet but probably will. It has been working fine for the most part.
    It renewed the key twice without error. Since none else here are seeing this it must be a bug.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's up to the developers to get it "finished" by the date set internally. ;)

We often forget the developers are at the behest of people higher up than themselves.

8. raven211

I know - it just annoys me. :D Just look at the release of N360v2... it was a nightmare... :gack: :ouch:

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Readers of this thread may find Symantec’s blog on The New Model of Consumer Protection: Quorum to be of interest.

A few highlights from the blog entry...

The video within the blog is really worthwhile watching, too, to learn where blacklisting, whitelisting and reputation all fit in the grand scheme.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's nice to see them writing blog articles like this, but a shame someone from Symantec can't (or won't?) answer your particular questions.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

TonyW, I agree. In my opinion, Symantec should recruit and hire PrevxHelp (“Joe”)!

:)

12. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

No, leave Prevxhelp "Joe" alone. That level of customer support and Prevx's high quality performance in general is what keeps me a happy customer...:D

13. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

Sorry for not responding - I took a little time off and have been buried every since.

To the question of the beta. You will be able to download the beta up until the day the 2010 products are announced. The beta will function for 3 weeks after the product launch.

If you can't renew, you should return to norton.com/beta and get a new activation key (click the download button). In fact, download the product again and reinstall to make sure you have the latest build - we have been doing a lot of optimizing/fixing during the beta cycle so it is worth getting the latest. Part of what we are testing is the full customer life cycle - install trial, use the product, expire, renew and full expire and install new products on top of an existing install - which is why the beta had a 14 day activation and then required you to renew. After 28 days you need to get a new activation key. Sorry, I know it is a pain - but we need to make sure that everything works before we ship it out to 10s of millions of customers.

As for the tests by Andreas Marx of av-test.org. He typically tests static / reactive file scanning and pro-active file scanning. The difference is that the pro-active tests use old file signatures and block updates while testing very new malware. This allows him to test detection of new threats.

In the past, Norton did extremely well when we had our full signatures - no so well when signature updates were blocked.

This year we detected 80% of new threats even with old sig files - I think it was the best any vendor has ever done. The reason is the new heauristic scan engine, Sonar 2, that we added this year. Detection with full signature files was around 99.5%.

What he did not test was:
    1. detection of malicious or hacked web pages
    2. phishing detection
    3. intrusion protection
    4. search security - (If I recall, google found that 3% of google search results are infected pages - so knowing if it is malicious before you click is important)
    5. Firewall
    6. commercial keylogger detection
    7 removal
    8 performance
    9 real world experience - what happens when you visit an infected web page or open an infected file

Actually, few of the 3rd party tests look at more than just static file scanning. The only tester who is looking at a more complete range of security is Neal Rubenking at PC Mag. He's da bomb - and not just because he liked us last year - he is the last real reviewer left standing (at least in English).

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What do you actually mean by "left standing" ? Could you or someone else explain , please ?

15. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

What I meant by "left standing" is that most of tech publications have cut back on product reviews - they no longer have the ad revenues to support it. Even CNET has cut back.

Other then PC Mag and to some extent PC World, who still maintains a real test lab?

There are independents like av-test and av-comparatives. They do a good job at what they do - mostly testing of file scanning. But mostly they don't test the full range of security features. So we all end up comparing security suites based on file scanning - as though all the other layers of security don't exist.

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Is Norton 2010 faster then 2009? ( It said so in changelog but it is user opinion that counts )

Has Heuristics improved? ( The traditional weak spot of Norton )

If i have a 3 year upgrade in Norton 2009. Will i be able to upgrade to 2010. Or do i have to stick with 2009 and get definition update for 3 years.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Unless the policy has changed you will be able to install NIS2010 and activate it with your current subscription key. This was possible with NIS2009, which I activated with keys from NIS2007. I don't know if it will be pushed to you via LiveUpdate. You may have to download a trial version.

18. iwod

iwod Registered Member

That sounds great, if my new computer comes with a NIS 2008 ( YUCK ) i will be able to use that key and install NIS 2010....

19. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

iwod

The design goal is for the the 2010 products to outperform our 2009 products. I have not seen the test results yet - but this Passmark report (funded by us at Symantec) does give a good review of the performance of approx 27 different security solutions.

http://www.passmark.com/AVReport

The report will be updated with 2010 products starting in Sept.

Yes, the heauristics have improved - significantly.

Yes, if you have an active subscription you are eligable for a free upgrade to the latest version. After we ship you will get an inproduct notice or you can go to the Norton upgrade center - http://www.symantec.com/home_homeof...pgrade2007/vista/migration_start.jsp?site=nuc

We put a lot of work into making the upgrade as easy as possible.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what about if we have unused lic keys. i bought a few copies i have not used yet from a local staples. i hate for those keys to be wasted? thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.