NIS/NAV 2010 Beta just started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Really? All I'm saying is: No problems - fine. Problems? - Sorry, using your software? Not happening. You tell me what is narrow-minded about that. I don't hang on to the past if I see that the situation is different now.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It looks authentic, but then I'm not so sure either. I only raised this point because if it is indeed a Prevx representative who has uploaded videos from Prevx Research Labs, it's unfair to ask if he is "completely retarded". If the guy is genuinely from Prevx, the errors you pointed out with reference to Norton need to be mentioned directly to him or to Prevx so it can be corrected. Your replies make you look as unprofessional as you make him out to be if you see what I mean. But then if he is a fraud after all, it's a bad setup anyway.

Perhaps this should be asked at the Prevx Forum.

3. raven211

Yes, I agree that what I wrote looks unprofessional, and that's also what I thought the video really was. I pointed out what was wrong, and those points were not small. If you're gonna make a fair comparison, you gotta have the facts. He definitely did not - he didn't even know how the software works, OR EVEN WHICH PRODUCT HE WAS RUNNING! He would be better off showing what Prevx is capable of, instead of making a comparison which he proven is not capable of to do. This is not the same with Matt Rizos, but the reason I'm mentioning him here is because sometimes when watching his videos, I've felt that he didn't have enough insight in the products that he tested - and by now he's become MUCH better at this, and I really respect that.

This is why I maybe got aggressive against Joe of Prevx for example in some cases - simply because I HATE when people are not arguing with facts in their bag. Then it's completely pointless and make themselves look unprofessional. IMO I guess then, cause I dunno if you think that's professional to do. Let's say it doesn't, cause things might seem like what's compared is just a worse product from another vendor. WRONG! What was written was not written with insight, so what was written was only assumptions - assumptions that are later included in a comparison. Compare technologies, compare things that are pointed out - not having the facts, you can't argue, you SHOULDN'T argue. Get things straight before talking - that's all I'm saying.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Whoa raven. I cant get the plugin because I am unfortunatly using 64 bit, so I can not see the video. What is or isnt right about it. I read through the last day of posts and am trying to figure out what is going on. Please enlighten me so I can make my own choice.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Trying to follow what you are saying here. Who is "not arguing with facts in your bag"? You? Joe?

And who are you referring to when you write, "makes yourself look unprofessional"? Who is "yourself"? o_O

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, maybe you're missing his point. When software developers release a bad product they immediately lose revenue if users base their choices on the performance of that version and not on the product's past performance (good or bad). In other words, give them feedback immediately by voting with your wallet. It's not necessary to keep punishing Symantec because their Norton products sucked in 2007 IMHO. I think this is what raven211 means.

7. raven211

1. I've considered assumptions/speculations being made by Joe when not having facts on how Norton actually works and looks, then comparing that to their own product - no offence.

2. Might have used some bad wording there - dunno - I meant the one who doesn't have facts. Will fix that now.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Bottom Line: no vendor should discuss another vendors product. Period. Keep to your own and allow us, the members, the right to make any comparisions.

9. raven211

Fair enough. I consider that a good solution.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well raven, I have been using it for a few days and I am blown away with it. Any lingering bad tastes towards Norton are quickly dissolved with 2010. They have created a masterpiece of a suite.:thumb:

Antispam still sucks but well,,:cautious:

11. david_h

david_h Registered Member

So is there a 64 bit version? If not how is this running in a 64 bit environment?

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed this is simply a awesome piece of work.. ill be staying nortons for at least another year anyway

13. raven211

It supports both 32-bit and 64-bit in the same installation package to make it as simple as possible. ;) :p

14. raven211

I'm not using the Anti-Spam myself (I don't use any Anti-Spam at all as I rely on Web mail) and ofc suggest that you've already tested its capability, but finally even PCMag is considering it to do a decent job, looking at the summary of the preview they've done. See if you can find any details here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349865,00.asp

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Could anyone confirm if the following (issue) still happens, as I still didn't grab a copy of the beta to test.

Disable DNS Client, reboot your system (do it on a tests system, maybe virtual machine), and see whether or not Norton will report an error, as in not becoming active.

Thank you

16. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

btw is this just a NIS beta or is ther also a beta version for NAV? just curious cuz if not ill just disable the Firewall and whatever else i dont need from NIS.

and another question. can u choose to install only certain modules like with other AVs or do u need to install it all and only disable what u dont want? thx.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you want the whole suite baby! the whole suite.;)

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

EDIT........Oops. I screwed up. Wrong software. All these initials are beginning to look alike.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  20. thathagat

thathagat Guest

both nis as well as nav,nav 2010 beta link.....http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/

21. gery

gery Registered Member

may be this is off topic but is it true that N360 has to be installed as a whole? ie no custom installation

22. raven211

Not installed - but configured. Same goes for all of their main-products. You can turn off individual functions, even important ones like AV, FW and so on - then you can decide that you want to ignore their status.

23. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

24. raven211

25. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Sorry I missed it... :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.