NIS 2012... Is it just me or...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xxJackxx, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Does anyone else that uses Norton Internet Security 2012 notice that after it has been installed for about a week or so, that internet browsing slows down considerably? It seems that shortly after install I don't notice any slowdown. But I have had it installed for about a week or so and now it takes several extra seconds to open a browser and then browsing is slow. If I disable the Norton add-ons in Firefox and restart the browser it returns to normal speed. Just me, or are others seeing this also?

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I havent experienced that- at least not with Norton ;) Have you installed any new programs which might cause compatibility problems?

3. xxJackxx

Nope, this is repeatable for me. If I uninstall the issue goes away. If I reinstall the issue slowly comes back. The longer I have it installed the slower my browsers get. Removing it brings them back to full speed. Windows 7 x64 with IE 9 and Firefox 10.

4. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Can't say that I have, no.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have Norton Vulnerability Protection enabled and the Norton Toolbar disabled in Firefox, and don't notice any slowdown. Do you use Safe Web Search and/or Identity Safe?

6. xxJackxx

I use safe web. Though I don't know if there is ultimately any value in it. I use Sticky Password instead of Identity Safe. I well could be Safe Web. I don't know at what point it connects, and if that would affect browser launch speed. I could see it slowing down browsing if there was an unusually heavy load on the service.

- Actually I just did like you said, disabled Safe Web and left the Vulnerability Protection on and the speed seems normal. I think you got it figured out. Must be coincidence that it seems to slow over time. Maybe.

7. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I believe I've discovered the problem! You're using Norton! I've hated that AV and all it's successors ever since it became what is basically an unwanted incompatibility pack (get it because its NOT compatible) that came pre-installed on every machine from here to flippin egypt. Add that to the lack of any real ability to intervene in the protection (It aims to be "idiot proof" by simply removing the freedom Kaspersky and other AVs allow for you to limit applications to only what they need to run and you know MAKE CHOICES) and you get the perfect recipe for failure IMHO.

You couldn't pay me to install it.

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

How's 2006 treating you?

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

:thumb: Seriously.

10. kjdemuth

You could always try turning off certain components in NIS. Then see if the problem continues. Other than that see if Norton's forum has any similar issues.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

nis 2012 gives no slowdowns on any of PCs I have installed it on

12. xxJackxx

As mentioned above I think the Safe Web is most of the issue. I have left it disabled. I didn't start with the Norton Forums as they would have a greater interest on blaming it on anything other than Norton. While there are some helpful people over there, I thought the replies here would be less biased. Somewhat. :D

Overall the 19.5.x build hasn't been bad. I haven't heard a peep out of it since I put it back on.

13. kjdemuth

True. Glad you found the issue. Its always a challenge to do that.

14. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Very well thanks for asking :rolleyes:

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, the good old days :) Just in case you didn't get the reference...what you said about the Norton products was often true until 2009 when they dramatically improved. Since then they've performed on par with other security suites. You're correct that Norton-ware targets the average user who is better off not being required to make decisions about security. More advanced users who want to manage programs and firewall settings directly can do so (at least in NIS, not sure about N360), but it's not optimal.

16. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Well I'm glad they've removed themselves from their previous path I still have no intentions of ever using it I'd like to point out that I did try the Norton 360 trial in 2011 (my post from the Norton forum follows)

Re: Let the user decide whether or not to quarantine a file

Im aware of their supposed detection rates and how 'popular' they've become but they still lack the most basic of advanced functionality (Even KIS could use some improvement though I suppose every piece of security software is capable of being improved upon). I am not such a closed book that I am unwilling to try new things, and I am not so attached to Kaspersky that I cannot be removed from it (Though it has always treated me well) I do make a habit of trying other products and if you look through my username on Google you'll likely find posts on Bitdefender and other forums regarding issues. I like to make it a habit of formatting my pc and trying out all the new versions of AV suites as they're released (reformatting between each attempt) and then settling on whichever works best.

Norton just doesn't have what I need and caused more problems then it could've possible solved.

TLDR; Don't think I'm so stubborn I'm not keeping up ;)

17. xxJackxx

Have you considered virtual machine testing? saves a lot of formatting.

In any case I removed NIS to see what impact it had. Though version 19.5.1.2 seems to prompt for things less than previous builds, it still seems a little slower to me. With it uninstalled my overall PC speed seems mostly unaffected, but my browsers are much faster. Firefox now launches in 2 seconds or less instead of the 5+ it was taking, and IE opens immediately. I especially noticed that hitting the back button seems to have a delay like it is rescanning and/or reloading the page, rather than just pulling it from the browser cache, which should be instant. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.