NIS 2011 and NAV 2011 have been officially released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ace11, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Oh yeah, that is really nothing to worry about. The memory is there to be used, I always run scans when I watch a movie, or am away from the computer.

2. malexous

malexous Registered Member

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Thanks, Malexous, for posting the links to the most recent Norton Protection Blog entries.

The Norton Browser Protection is a great example of why anti-malware products should be tested using a whole product dynamic testing methodology. It is an important layer of real-world protection that would not be considered in traditional malware detection tests.

4. Pleonasm

The article about the free Norton Power Eraser tool is worth reading. Personally, I run Norton Power Eraser every day or two as another check against malware. It’s quick and easy, and I have yet to see a single false positive.

On a general note, I wonder how testing organizations (e.g., AV-Comparatives) will address the existence of Norton Power Eraser (NPE). Since it is part of the total solution that includes Norton Internet Security 2011 (NIS11), a test of the malware detection capabilities of NIS11 should include NPE – right?

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Am I correct that the NPE is not included in the NIS 2011?
    Are you using NIS 2011?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

6. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

NPE is not included in any product version . It is a special tool and is available as a free download . Norton 2011 products include link to these tools in the Quick & Full scans and in Start -> Programs -> Norton (xxx) -> Norton Recovery tools . Link is also available in the Symantec's Norton Support page (virus/malware section)

7. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

is it posible to use a NIS License key with NAV o_O
    I dont need NIS .. just NAV thats why ... :p

8. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Great product, I think that despite being a very complete program, can be mild, which I am most impressed is the updates, I've never seen any other product update so fast, enjoyed it so much I bought a license for one year, for me the best antivirus of the year.

I intend to put the Prevx 3.0 with SafeOnline along with it, would be the perfect protection with little consumption of system.

Sorry for my english! :thumb:

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

No, I don't believe you can use a suite license for the AV. There is ninety day trial version of NAV out there though.

10. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

Sorry for not have edited my post, I installed NAV and tried the NIS key and it didn´t work .. and yes I installed the OEM 90 days NAV, but I removed it today, I´m happy without AV :) jeje

11. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

You could always disable the firewall in NIS.

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

13. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

I have NIS2011 + Prevx and they work very well together!

14. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Does the NAV/NIS IPS module work with IE9 Beta?

15. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

What environment are you browsing to feel the need to run this app so regularly?

16. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yes , they are fully compatiable. All Norton 2011 modules (BHOs) work well with IE9 - I have tested them.

17. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Only thing not working is file insight (tested 4 days ago, maybe it's working now)

18. Pleonasm

My motivation for running the free Norton Power Eraser on a regular basis is simply to verify the absence of malware -– a secondary, additional check (i.e., a personal preference). Realistically, I do not “need” to run the tool so frequently since I engage in “safe computing” practices. However, the tool is both simple to execute and fast. Thus, the downside cost is low and the potential upside benefit is high.

19. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Perhaps you mean Download Insight ? It is a bit different from File Insight.

I personally use IE9 since 15 th September and didn't notice Norton's Download Insight not working.

20. pabrate

Yep, sorry, Download Insight.
    Well, it's not working in my case.

21. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

It works here. Have you tried to reinstall Norton just to try if that helps ? Are your proxy settings correct ?

Attached Files:

22. pabrate

I wouldn't reinstall Norton just because of that.
    I don't use proxy.

There is Norton toolbar and it's blocking bad websites, everything seems normal, both add-ons are enabled.
    But when something is downloaded nothing happens.

I don't have IE9 on my main machine but I'll try again on that other PC and will let you know.
    Or even better, I might install IE9 on main PC :)
    If it works for you I can't find any reason why it wouldn't work for me :shifty:

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I suppose if you or anybody completely filled(ie no space whatsoever!) their HDs with anti-malware apps then there would be no worry of anything else installing but wouldn't that be excessive as well?I am beginning to wonder if all the marketing by anti-malware companies isn't causing a certain amount of paranoia amongst users

24. Pleonasm

In my opinion, occasionally scanning a PC with another anti-malware tool to obtain a 'second opinion' is not “excessive” nor does it constitute “paranoia.” Primarily, I rely upon Norton Internet Security 2011 for malware protection; and secondarily upon the new Symantec Maximum Repair (SMR) security engine in Norton Power Eraser for agressive malware detection.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think it is wise to use another AM application in addition to the AV. I am completely persuaded that no one AV is going to catch everything. Accordingly, although I have high confidence in NIS 2011 I scan periodically with MBAM. So far my computers have been clean.

I also do not worry about using resources. I try to determine what computers I need and buy one that I think will do the job. I expect to use resources. In fact that is why I have the resources.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.