NIS 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Installed NIS 2008 yesterday.

I was disappointed to find that a number of settings/options from NAV 2006 appear to be gone, e.g., telling NAV what to do when an alleged infection is found in a file or in email,.

The "documentation is awful!

2. noway

noway Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

I noticed that the firewall has had important stuff removed since v2004. Some day the whole suite will be dumbed down to the point where the whole GUI will only have no optional settings and will have only one button, the LiveUpdate Button!

3. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Well thats perfectly possible, it's just not a default option that's turned on. :p

The default settings are set in a way that's the least annoying to the general user. And to be honest, for the average John Doe user who hasn't got a clue about security these settings are simply the best. Most users just click "allow" to malicious actions anyway, so who is going to protect them from themselfs?? In this case NIS2008 protects them from themselfs..... :p

4. Howard Kaikow

Proper defaults are fine, but I've involved with software for decades, and I have seen several/many stupid decisions as to defaults, sometimes withno way to overcome the default.

A default MUST not be destructive.
    Alas, I've never seen this discussed in the so-called reviews/comparisons of AV products.

Here's an example of a very destructive default. Perhaps, it's been corrected in more recent versions,.but I doubt it. And this product is pre-installed on a large number of computers, potentially, harming the unsuspecting user.

5. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Well that's not NIS2008 your talking about now is it.... :p

6. Howard Kaikow

Nope, but when software starts forcing defaults, with no chance to overcome the settings, I really worry.

7. denniz

denniz Registered Member

That's not the case in NIS2008 I believe, Norton allows many manual overrides. But Norton is a suite that's directed to people who want a no-nonsense suite that doesn't ask them questions.

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Howard, look at my posts #86 and #87 in this thread.

9. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Some advanced options in NIS2008:

NIS2008_1.jpg

NIS2008_2.jpg

NIS2008_3.jpg

NIS2008_4.jpg

NIS2008_5.jpg

10. denniz

denniz Registered Member

NIS2008_6.jpg

NIS2008_7.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  11. Howard Kaikow

I'm looking for the options on handling files.
    Did not find them.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi denniz. Where did you find the Live Update options? I knew how to get to them in older older versions of Norton. I use to just open LU and click on Options. I can't find that in NIS 2008.

13. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

The only option concerning this is what to do with low risks (cookies) which is under Exclusions>>Low Risk Action. Whatever file NIS determines that is medium or high risk are placed in Quarantine (you will be notified of this). From there you can delete, restore, or submit it to Symantec so it is non-destructive.

I never read the manual myself but it doesn't surprise me. Seems like that is the norm nowadays with a lot of software out there. It has been replaced with the "how to..?" links in the help section.

14. Howard Kaikow

And what if a file moved to quarantine happens to be needed while the scan is running?

As a default, unlesschosen by the user, automatically moving a file is not acceptable.

Years ago, I was impressed by HP's documenation, at least for some products. I downloaded the manuals (19 of them) for the notebook I recently purchased, outright awful!

15. denniz

denniz Registered Member

In the Windows Control Panel there is an LiveUpdate icon there. It resides outside of NIS itself, I haven't got a clue why.....

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Howard,

If you don't like NIS 2008 and some of its features- don't use it. Real simple. You complain about the program often- just don't use it. I thoroughly test nine AVs and Norton is right at the top of the list for overall ease of use and protection. It works better on my machines than Avira, Kaspersky, or ESS.

17. Bunkhouse Buck

On my XP Pro, LU is found in the control panel (as always) with all the options available to you within the tabs provided after you open it.

18. Graystoke

Well, I went into Control Panel (Start>Control Panel), and didn't see any LiveUpdate icon. Running XP Home. So I just went to C:>Program Files>Symantec>LiveUpdate>LuConfig. Found it there. What was wrong with the way it us to be? o_O

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw do you still need to run live update mutiple times to get all the updates?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  20. Graystoke

Not than I'm aware of. I haven't run into any problems with automatic LU so far. I manually ran LU after the first few automatic updates, when I first installed NIS 2008, and there was never any other updates available. So I assume by that, that LU update is working fine.

21. Bunkhouse Buck

I had nothing but problems with LU until a month or two after the first public release of NIS 2008. There must have been a program change/redo and now it works flawlessly and much more silently than it did in the past. Less CPU usage, etc.

22. Bunkhouse Buck

No- all is downloaded in one update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.