NIS 2008 v/s Symantec Endpoint Protection 11

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tsilo, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I have SEP 11 installed on my work laptop and I am very happy with it. Since I also use my home pc for work sometimes, I believe I am allowed to install it and use the same license. It is certainly a lot less fluff than NIS but seems to have the same excellent detection and performance.

2. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Personally I would install NIS2008 for two features: Browser Defender which has already caught some nasty drive-bys and the web-form password fill in thingy.

3. axfleming

axfleming Registered Member

You don't necessarily need to dump the firewall, you just need to look at it differently.
    Most (all other?) firewalls assign rules to applications; if you want ten apps to have internet access you need to assign rules ten times.
    With Endpoint, think from the perspective of assigning applications to rules; create one rule for internet server access, and then assign the ten apps to it.
    Seems simpler to me to just have an allow rule and just check off ten apps than having to deal with multiple popups to basically assign the same rule over and over again.

4. starter15

starter15 Registered Member

SEP11 was using up cpu at idle on vista ultimate so i uninstalled it. otherwise, it seemed like a very nice program.

5. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Your' right, I tested it and SEP 11 is very heavy on system resources on startup, every time before it loads Windows Security Center reports there is problems, after loading security alert disappears... after that it works great.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

If you are talking about the security center on XP, its meaningless during boot. Comodo does that, but it blocks inbound during boot.

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

It adds about 2% on a fast 2 core machine. Vista rarely gets down to zero the way XP does. On a slow machine the effect can be noticeable with 10% at idle being reported by one member around here with a 1 ghz P3.

However, a fair comparison would be an AV/behavior monitor/firewall combo of your choice, or conventional suite plus something like Theatfire or Antibot.

8. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I'm going to have to reinstall it now and try this out. Didn't set any rules whatsoever before. Maybe it's time to take anothr look. :thumb:

9. dlonra

dlonra Registered Member

Tried it, loved it. Except the connectivity problems caused by the Sygate Teefer driver (teefer.sys) and my wifi connection (Sweex USB-stick). Happened right after the 2nd reboot.

Who has a solution ? Besides destalling the driver and using a different firewall ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.