NIS 2004

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Peter2150,

Tested for ADS with two different programs including TDS-3. Nothing found. Thanks for the heads UP.

Sure glad the blocks on Beast.205 are there and system is protected.

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes I am able to get some apparent freezing on a slower machine here with only 128MB of RAM. I didnt wait very long before getting tired of waiting and reset, but it could have just been low performance of that test machine.

In any case, CCAPP.exe could be killed and you would still be protected from Beast and any other injector :) Rootkits too, and of course the big bonus is that no scanner can protect you from private trojans. That is unless the scanner heuristics are out of this world (making them very slow too). Even advanced heuristics for upcoming scanners need optimisations which mean some things will be missed, thats just how heuristics are.

3. Norton User

Norton User Guest

I found this thread while looking for a solution I've been having with Norton tools for several versions and and several operating systems.

What I've found is that sometimes ccapp or nmain will "out of the blue" start taking-up 99% of the cpu usage. As I write this I've been watching Nmain and CCapp fighting for all the usage it can for the last 15 minutes. I can't click fast enough on the process and the end process button. If I try and launch norton sysmtemworks, it calms down, but never acutally launches it. trying to launch systemworks again causes it to go nuts again. All I currently have installed is NAV2003 and NSW2003, as NIS seemed to be what was causing this problem a few months ago so I uninstalled it (and I just left it off).

I've seen Norton lock-up Win98 and Win2k machines with this issue. Often times if I try to uninstall and reinstall, it fails the reinstall. This has occurred with Intel and AMD machines with a number of motherboard manufacturers. Sometimes when doing a liveupdate of NAV, it fails during the installation, and I can wait through months of updates and liveupdate is never able to get the NAV application updated. A few times I've had to reformat my hard drive and start over before I could get NAV to install, and I've even had it fail installation on a clean windows install. I have 2 *nearly* identical machines side-by-side and one may have the issue and the other not.

4. steerpike7

steerpike7 Guest

I installed NIS a few days ago only to find ccapp.exe was hogging 99% cpu, but not all the time. then i realised it only did it when i sent e-mail so i did the thing it say on their website (turn off outgoing mail scanning) and of course it didn't work so i went into the firewall options->programs and removed Outlook Express form the list. No problems since then.

Let me know if it works for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.