Nightly image at 2am: quick question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimmyz, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyz

jimmyz Registered Member

Quick question using TI 11 under win XP:
    I would like a nightly image of my computer done at 2AM - usually my computer will be in an S3 sleep state at this time.
    From what I understand from reading this forum is that I need to schedule 7 TI tasks- one for each night and then schedule 7 tasks via the windows scheduler with each one pointing to the correct TI image script (found under Documents and settings/all users/Acronis/etc... /scripts) so that the computer will come out of sleep mode.
    I was planning on having all of the images written to a "nightly" backup zone that was limited to 7 images so that I would only keep the last week of images stored.
    Does that sound right?- I really like Acronis but the competing product I was using only required one task scheduled to get the above done.
    thanks in advance- jimmyz

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimmyz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that one scheduled task is enough for described purpose when using Acronis Backup Location. You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If the PC is in standby (S3) when the task is supposed to run, ATI's scheduler will not wake the PC to runthe task. To do that, you need to runthe task from the Windows task scheduler. Search the forum and you should find lots of places with the instructions to run an ATI task from the Windws scheudler.

4. jimmyz

jimmyz Registered Member

Thanks for the responses- here is what I am having the the windows scheduler run:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\8A8B6B73-2228-41CB-8053-986614C4D784.tib"
    where the *.tib represents the appropriate TI script for that night

Also just to clarify- if I use only one TI script (as opposed to 7 for each night of the week) acronis just overwrites the backup made the night before- that way I am only left with one backup instead of a weeks worth. The other backup software I was using sequentially numbered each nightly backup.

hope that makes sense and I have it right- I will know by the end of the week!

5. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I believe I see an error. Your path needs to include a .tis extension at the end. Regarding saving multiple files I need to think about that. Acronis needs to fix the Scheduled Tasks issues in version 11 and this should be a high priority with them. Many folks have reported this deficiency and it would be prudent for Acronis to acknowledge it. Using the Windows Scheduled Tasks is not the best way to go but it does work.
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\8A8B6B73-2228-41CB-8053-986614C4D784.tib.tis"

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Whether your image gets overwritten or not, will depend on whether you have chosen full, inc or def. If Full, then it will overwrite the file, if either of the other two it will produce sub files.

I suggest that it isn't a good idea, to have one master file overwritten on a daily basis. My preference would be, two tasks - one run once a week (try saying that fast) the master one, and the other an incremntal or differential file run on a weekly schedule, with everyday ticked apart form the master day.

Colin

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

There are some advantages to using the Windows Scheduler. It's more of a pita to set up than using the ATI scheduler but the Win scheduler can wake a pc from standby and has a few other options that might interest a user. I've preferred and relied on the Win Scheduler for ATI tasks for several years now.

8. jimmyz

jimmyz Registered Member

You were right on about the .tis extension. Otherwise I think I got it up and running using the windows scheduler. Hopefully the backupzone will do its thing- thanks for the replies

9. jimmyz

jimmyz Registered Member

I kinda had an aha moment after reading this post
    Now I think instead of having 7 individual tasks (one for each day of the week) I can have just one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.