Nigerian Email Scammers Are More Effective Than Ever

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, May 3, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Lily Hay Newman 05.03.18

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Greed will get them every time

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Amazing. Pls don't tell me peeps are still as gullible today as when gmail-yahoo mail first came out.

They were early on the scene with that scam way back when.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

:argh: Amazing!

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

With robocalls, roboemails, targeting the elderly this will continue. Some elderly who have not been scammed are getting 30+ scam calls a week. And some who have been scammed can expect 100+ calls a week.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I still get these things in my spam box, they must be scamming somebody. They use what works. Haven't seen one for Nigeria in a while though. Still classic 419. The amounts have gone up too. The most recent one I received was $1,000,000,000,00 LOL

7. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I got one saying they work at a bank where people died leaving millions in their account and they were going to have me use fake ID to withdraw the money because the managers were in on it too so no one would question the fake ID.
    I deleted the email but I mentioned it to a friend who is a bank manager, she said they really do have abandoned accounts with millions in them and if the manager was to be in on it, that would be the way to get the money...
    So I still wonder about that one.

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"The US has arrested 74 people including nearly 30 in Nigeria, as part of an effort to combat email scam artists.

It said the arrests reflect a coordinated crackdown on people who convince correspondents to wire them money for fraudulent activities.

Authorities said they have seized, recovered or disrupted more than $16m (£12m) since January...

The FBI said people have reported losing more than $3.7bn since it started tracking the issue through its Internet Crime Complaint Center..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44445436

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Dozens arrested in email scam targeting U.S. businesses

FBI targeted West African organized crime ring...

In a sweep dubbed Operation Wire Wire [Pants on Fire:)], the FBI targeted an alleged West African organized crime ring and others who sent fake messages to companies’ finance departments purporting to be a vendor for the company with an invoice requiring payment.

“They are doing their research…going onto company websites and looking for the right people,” FBI assistant director Scott Smith, who helped lead the operation, said in an interview. “They may even go as far as pulling annual reports and finding what companies they do business with and spoofing those accounts” — that is, impersonating other firms in emails to the main target..."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dozens-arrested-in-email-scam-targeting-us-businesses-2018-06-11

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.