Nice update change in 4.0+

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by MikeBCda, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Since I didn't play with the beta of 4.0, I was pleasantly surprised this week to discover a new feature. If you check for updates, it will now find and install any new cumulative defs and clean out included incrementals, which 3.5 couldn't or wouldn't do. Saves a lot of hassle checking on-site for those.

Thanks to the ewido team, nicely done. :thumb: :)

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Sorry Mike, can you please explain what you mean exactly? I don't understand yet I think. Not your fault but more mine :)

Gerard

3. MikeBCda

Hi Gerard,

No prob. As you (probably) know, ewido uses incremental updates, which are typically quite small and quick to download/install, typically 2 or 3 K, and 10K is a huge one. So you accumulate more and more def files.

Every once in a while ewido will come out with a "cumulative" def update, a single much larger file (this week's was something like 2 or 3 megs, if I remember) which in effect contains all the data in previous incrementals. And of course on most systems, one large file will usually take up a lot less disk space than the same data in maybe a couple of hundred small files.

Clear as mud now? ;)

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I stopped using it because of that annoying registry bug.

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Yep, thanks, as clear as your first post :D
    Because I think nothing changed in that respect with 3.5, there were also every now and then the "big"updates.
    Cheers,

Gerard

6. MikeBCda

Under 3.5, on my system at least, a check for updates would always just add to the collection of incrementals even if there was a new cumulative. 4.0 nicely gets the new cumulative, if there is one, and cleans out the old collection of incrementals included in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.