NFTS different in W7

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by emmjay, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have read that NFTS is a little bit different in W7 then it was in XP and Vista. Is this true? How does this impact putting multiple system backups on one external mega HD?

I backed up my Vista system on an external HD for many years but it went casters up a few days ago. Also I have had an ext HD for many years for my XP backups that only support USB 1.1 ports. Its life expectancy has exceeded my expectations, but I am concerned that due to its age it may expire any day.

I have been using Paragon Drive Backup 10 Pro for Vista, XP and W7.

I purchased a new WD Passport Elite 500GB & was looking at putting my Vista, XP and W7 backups on the same drive using PDB10. I will not be using the built in smartware software for backups (weird stuff!). If I do this will I be able to recover the backup for all 3 systems?

Anything I should heed prior to doing this? NB: I have already put a full image of my W7 on the external HD.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Thank you Cudni. I read through the link but it appears to relate more to having XP (or Vista) on a single HD with the ability to read from each on a W7 system. That's how I read it.

To backup each OS onto my ext HD, I will have to connect it to each of the systems to do the backup. I was concerned that since I started on the backup process on W7, the whole HD is seen as a NFTS W7 created drive. When I backup the other systems will the backup be true? Will the restore work for each of the systems?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you want to be sure maybe partition and format one of them via XP ?

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for the idea. I will give it a shot.

6. Xarx

Xarx Registered Member

Win7 NTFS supports e.g. symbolic links, while that in WinXP does not. However, how does this impact backups, I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.