Next best alternative to ThreatFire (Symantec to Acquire PC Tools)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HAN, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Please delete this post! Don't give them the idea! :D

2. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Shocked :eek:
    Symantec seems to devour company they want.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Fat cats bulging with huge revenue can always present offers hard to refuse.

Simple as that.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The main topic used to be "best alternative to TF" -- speaking of which...

+Has anyone tried Novashield?

+Does anyone have screenshots of Mamutu?

+Since an orange is called an "orange", why isn't a grape called a "purple"?

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Grapes come in several colours.:rolleyes:

6. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

not i...

here's some from the makers of mamutu :
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/mamutu/
    scroll all the way to the bottom

see here :D

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Great, thats just great. Not. :cautious: :(
    If they're not gonna leave free versions of antivirus, ThreatFire and firewall alone i'll be really pissed at Symantec. They just consume and move on when that consumed tech doesn't serve the purpose anymore. They don't develop anything, just consume and impliment existing stuff. Imo thats just lame.

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Acquiring existing companies (and their technologies) saves a lot of R&D money and time. It is also a good way to eliminate the competition.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah it does, but it also does create a very bad karma (My name is Symantec :D ) and bad PR.
    Then it's up to you what you want to have...

10. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

They've already killed bunch of great really reliable products; either by totally bastardizing them along their line of "development" (Veritas Backup Exec, Delrina WinFax, Quarterdeck CleanSweep, Binary Research Ghost), by leaving them basically dead (PowerQuest PartitionMagic - huge shame on you Symantec for this one!!!) or killing them altogether (Sygate Technologies Sygate Firewall incl. the free version).

ThreatFire will no doubt follow in Sygate Firewall's footsteps. Say goodbye to this cool product, another one bites the dust because of the evil yellow company.

:argh: :mad: o_O :blink: :thumbd:

11. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Any idea what will happen to people you have license for PC Tools apps ??
    Will we have to migrate to solutions from the yellow stable ?

I just bought 1 year license for SpyDoctor about 2 weeks back :'(

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I don't know about Mamutu. But I tried Novashield. IMO, Novashiled is no replacement for TF. Its still has to many FPs, bugs the hell out of you..
    For once, PCMag also seems to agree:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2326826,00.asp

13. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Maybe McAfee or some other antivirus company buys up Webroot in the near future? At least PC Tools has more of a diverse portfolio than most 2nd tier security companies.

I wonder if Symantec will break up the relationship with Sana Security after requiring Threatfire? Norton Antibot has been in limbo for a while and out of the security news.

14. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Re: Next best alternative to ThreatFire,

5) TF gets targeted by hackers to a much greater degree because Semantec now owns TF

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I would imagine a situation somewhat similar to the one that occurred with Ewido/Grisoft.
    (1) TF (and the other PCTools products) will continue as they are, for a time.
    (2) Sooner or later, one by one, they will be re-branded with the Symantec name, perhaps a new interface, and small function alterations. (Those considered unworthy, if any, will be discontinued.)
    (3) Some time after that, they will be integrated into a Norton super-suite. And support for the previously free versions will be discontinued.

Naturally, I hope to be wrong.

Anyone else think this is likely, and if so, any bets as to the time frame/s?

16. demonon

demonon Guest

Screenshots of Mamutu are here:
    http://www.mamutu.com/en/software/mamutu/
    Just scroll down a little.

And I haven't tried Novashield but it's main sites gives 90 days trial!

17. Cretemonster

Cretemonster Registered Member

@Rej

You realize you just described a real life parasite\virus?

18. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I wonder why the bought the company. Is it because PC Tools has a product range that compliments theirs? Is it actually for the people? Figuring out why they made the move will help us determine what might happen to some of the PC Tools products.

19. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO... The free stuff will go quickly. Hard to compete against free if it's decent quality. Otherwise, why would Symantec buy Sygate?

As for what they will keep/absorb, ThreatFire and Spyware Doctor. Both very good apps and they both have technology that Symantec doesn't have (remember Antibot isn't their's.) TF has always garnered better reviews than Antibot and SD is consistently reviewed as a top antispyware contender.

20. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

21. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Ohhhhh SNAP!!

Just when I was beginning to appreciate Threatfire and PC Tools FW
    :mad:

Expect the 'bloat' to come after a few months

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Online Armor or Comodo.

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Symantec bought Pctools !

Amazing !

Other than -perhaps- from a marketing and market share perspective, it seems to be a very bad decision.

Pctools as a company is junk, many of their products are very bad (Spyware Doctor), bad, to mediocre.

Norton/Symantec isn't popular here, but it seems for many less computer literate PC owners a decent to good product. Drawback: relatively expensive.

24. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

That is your opinion of PC Tools. However, I know a lot of people who uses their product because of the glowing reviews it received. These are people are not very computer literate, so they don't much about security at all.

Symantec might not be popular here, but a lot of people use their products. PC Tools is a relatively small corporation, so the price for buying them is probably not that high. Besides, Symantec's revenue is so big that it will probably offset the costs of buying PC Tools.

Most likely to eliminate the competition. Symantec stated in their press release that PC Tools will operate independently, so I guess they just wanted PC Tools' revenue.

Only time will tell whether PC Tools' products will be integrated into their consumer/busniness line of products.

The amount of good karma outweigh's the bad karma, IMO. A lot of users here does not like either company, but outside Wilders both companies cater to a very large market. And most of these average users don't seem to care, so they just use whatever they know is popular (i.e. Norton, McAfee).

Bottom line: Symantec will still rack up huge revenues regardless of how much people here hate them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  25. curious george

curious george Registered Member

We should boycott Symantec lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.