Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Has anyone tried a restore and or a creation of a ghost mage with SD inactiveo_O?

Seems your trial is broken and ip blacklisted from accessing their site?

Didn't cause many probs here but windows looks for drivers it can't find if restored from an earlier image before SD's install.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay folks. This thread is really only about ShadowDefender. If you want to compare to other programs, please start a comparison thread.

Pete

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I rolled the installed version back to 1.0.0.91 shortly after making the above comment. After constant use over the past couple of days, maintaining the system in shadow mode for extended periods of time, I've experienced absolutely no issues. Obviously, at least with my system, some type of instability was injected in version 1.0.0.95. Meanwhile, Support still remains silent....

Blue

4. Peter2150

I'll try a long session today and see what happens. I've not heard from them either.

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

No response from the developers o_Oo_O

Is that the difference between pre and post sales support o_Oo_O

If this continues, I think we should exercise caution against purchase and use of this software, however great it was.:thumbd: :mad:

6. Peter2150

It is strange, as they/he was so responsive. I for sure am holding off on any additional purchase, although so far the software is working fine. I am trying to see if I can duplicate blue's issue.

Pete

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; Why not try this:
    To email the developer in Simplified Chinese, then you will soon know the truth. Good Luck.

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Same problem here. My system locked up one time in a multihour shadow session, I was using skype and it blocked the usb phone microphone&earpiece volume. Another time it locked the pc when I downloaded and executed emule in shadow mode.

Another bug is that it does not let me safely disconnect usb drives when in shadow mode.

And the most important bug is that the submit to disk or the exclude folders/files sometimes corrupt the files which are bigger than 100mb.

I emailed them 8 days ago and never received a response. :doubt: :mad:
    Couldn't agree more. I like the software but if they treat their customers like that they will soon remain out of business. :thumbd:

Is this a joke or what? :eek: :cautious:

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: It is no joke at all. If you want to convey your messages to the other end and hoping to get a decent reply, you just have to walk an extra mile to achieve that. You are all aware that this developer is in deficience of English skill, and if you do not try to understand his handicaps, how do you expect him to assist you. Choice is yours, either communicate with him in rightful way or you just pond your head against the stonewall--no reply. As simple as that. Good luck.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The website is in the English language, the software GUI is in English.
    And we need to write in our help & support questions in Simplified Chinese ?:eek:

Give us a break !:mad:

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Sorry, your request for a break may not been granted. You have purchased a software as is (English version). And assuming, among all other things, that you will get a reasonable after-sale support (in this case, is English corresponce in question), up to this moment, you are still hoping and waiting. My suggestion is simply to put all problems into more workable perspectives. Instead of wasteful waiting, why not take some measures to help him and yourselves. If he does not get an in-time assistance or something similar, your waiting will be eternal. This just my wild guess. Hoping i am deadly wrong this time. Take care.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe I get more response. My English is as broken as theirs.
    Once my new installation is polished, I will try SD.
    Maybe they reply only, when the reported problem can be fixed easily in the program.

13. pandlouk

OK. I'll study Simplified Chinese and maybe in about 1-2 years I will be able to submit a support email in chinese and understand their response.
    In a second thought I can simply go at the chinese embassies in italy or in greece and ask them to translate my english emails in chinese. :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

As nanana1 already said:
    :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  14. Peter2150

On the multi hour issue, how long. I've been running in shadowmode for several hours, with browsing and other onlilne conncects active.

I admittedly have never tried disconnecting a usb drive while shadowed. Also if I were downloadiing a huge file, I would presume it to be from a trusted sight and probably would just rely on sandboxie. I tend to only go shadowmode, when I want another layer on top of sandboxie.

I am running in shadow mode now as a test. Started with my response to blues post.

Pete

PS. I agree trying to communicate with them in chinese is not practical.

15. pandlouk

Hi Peter,
    the multihour was about 3-5 hours, but I do not think it has to do with the time period.
    I did not downloaded anything big. I only transfered it from my external drives to check how the program responds. I added about 20 files from 100mb the smaller to 500mb the bigger in a folder and then "submitted" it to disk.
    After I returned to normal mode I checked their md5 sums. On 3 of them they weren't the same.

16. ErikAlbert

OK. I downloaded SD, which has a very stupid name : "setup.exe".
    Not a good start : no software name, no version number, setup can be anything, probably "simplified" English.

Is it MBR-free ?

17. Peter2150

What do you mean MBR-free.

18. Peter2150

Okay. I've been running shadowed for roughly 6 hours with no problem. I'll try what you did with some bigger files and see what happens.

19. ErikAlbert

If it changes the MBR or not, just like FDISR did in the past.

20. Peter2150

You know Erik, I honestly don't know. Not sure why it would have to though.

21. pandlouk

No, it doesn't mess with the mbr. :)

22. Peter2150

Okay back with results on the test of long duration. Did I see something, yes. What was the cause. Don't know. Anyway.

I fired up shadow mode this morning. Then I put on Comcast's Rhapsody, which is a music service. Added my financial charting software which also streams data, and let it go all day. Total uptime was about 7 hours. At the end of the day, I decided to try the test of large files. I turned on my external usb drive, and open xplor2. Got a blank screen and it was hung. Terminated it with task manager and tried copying a large file with explorer. Nothing happened and I couldn't get rid of the explorer window. Maximized my charting software, and closed it. Software closed, but the windows stayed open. Couldn't get rid of them. Machine was not hung. Rhapsody was still playing. Screen image didn't change. Minimizing and reopening did update it. Closed Rhapsody, but again the screen image stayed on screen. At that time, I used the systray to shutdown shadow image. All was well when system rebooted.

Just for grins, when I started typing this, I decided to see if there was a problem with xyplor2 and shadowdefender. I went over to my other machine, and fired up shadow mode. It seemed to take longer then usual. Then I opened xplor2 and it was fine. Discovered the reason shadowdefender took longer to open as the machine was in the middle of having ShadowProtect collapse the days incrementals. Pat self on back for timing. When Shadowprotect finished, I commited the file with SD, and exited shadowmode. All was well and the collapsed incremental tested fine.

So what was the problem?

Pete

23. Peter2150

I also discovered this morning that a folder I committed yesterday under 95 was bad. Repeating tests today with 91.

24. Peter2150

Arg, now I am seeing same problems under 91. Hmmm.

25. pandlouk

I discovered another bug. When the pc locks-up if you force a shutdown it can lead to missing files and an unbootable system.

But the real question is; how are we going to report the bugs to the developer? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.