Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Hope the driver is now more robust. Frankly, I was quietly happy that as you had tested, the driver cannot be easily unprotected, conversely I would be worried if it could be easily unprotected for our own security.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

And yet another update. Concerning the FDISR problem. They for obvious reasons need to protect the driver when in Shadow Mode, but they said they can change it for normal mode. Stay tuned for a new version that will make FDISR happy.

I am impressed. These guys, wherever they are, really are respondng and trying.

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That's great to know !

As I did the first time I saw this Shadow Defender software, I think I saw a gem in the making. Really cannot imagine how they have such many features with 692KB file size when ShadowUser used 6.3MB and didn't have those features.

Also have tried Returnil for a while when it was first available but didn't have quite the same feeling.

Hence, I became very vocal and even pushy to some forumers (especially Mod, Pete2150) on this application which I've never done before. My sincere apologies !

4. Peter2150

Hi nanana1

No problem. First i wasn't responding as a mod, but as a member, and I don't mind admitting I was wrong.

In fact I thoroughly tested the bug fix, and they indeed did fix it. In fact I sort of stress tested it, with no problem. Almost as impressive is since it was a conflict, there was a good possiblity of the "it's not my problem" stuff. None of that, but just a fix. I am close to warming up the credit card.

Pete

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thanks, Pete2150 !

So is the current version 1.0.0.78 FDISR-friendly or can we expect another update from the Shadow Defender developers ?

6. Peter2150

I've been able to work around FDISR on 78, but there should be another build shortly.

7. Peter2150

Further update. Although they haven't posted it yet, I was sent a new build, and the FDISR problem appears to be fixed.

I am impressed. Since Friday I reported two problems. Both conflicts, and in both cases no questioning just fixes. Some of the big boy's could take note of that.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Pretty impressive.

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Folk: That is exact what we, consumers, often wish that the vendors which supply your favored products NEVER grow out of the range. Boutique-size business often provide personal touch services better than mega-size ones.

10. Peter2150

FInal update. Build 91 is now on the website. FDISR copy error is fixed. Obviously there would still be an error to try and copy in shadow mode, but in normal mode it's fne.

One thing I tried was running my market charting programs shadowed. After making a bunch of changes I realized oops. But since it stores everyting in it's folder in Program Files, I just went into explorer, right clicked on the folder and committed the whole thing. Worked like a champ.

Test over, two licenses purchased

11. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Great news Peter. I think I'll be just behind you purchasing. I tried the new Returnil last night and had a few issues, where as this worked straight out of the box. Combined with good customer services it looks like a keeper!

12. Empath

Empath Registered Member

I installed it, but then removed it. With it installed, Windows wouldn't shut down properly. I would get to the point of the screen saying "Windows is shutting down", but then it wouldn't close unless I did a forced close through the power switch.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thats strange,installed like a breeze,happy with this small package and very straightforward in use and also to create a save folder of choice.Waiting for MS to implement this in next Windows !?!?!

14. Peter2150

Did you give it a few minutes. THat is when I believe it is reverting the systemb back, so it might take a few. Also if it really doesn't shut down and is repeatable Ii would email support. They do respond.

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

That's strange......It installed ok and shut down ok for me. Tested it on 2 machines, both no problem. Do e-mail your problem with details to them.

16. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Working fine here on Vista/XP drives.

Did have a glitch where I deleted a couple of old ghost images on this XP drive whilst in full shadow.

Realised I was still in full shadow and I thought, oh well just have reboot out of shadow and see how SD handled it.

On reboot I was locked in shadow mode with a password prompt coming up to access the gui.No password had ever been set.

Rebooted a couple of times to see if it would jog something but still no go.

Got out of it by restoring from a ghost image.After restore I could access the gui which showed C as unshadowed but the other two partitions as shadowed.

Set to reboot out of shadow and things seemed to work fine again.

Emailed support as if I didn't have images I would like to know how to get out of this situation.

I didn't mention that I had fixed the prob with an image.

First email - Stuck in shadow with password prompt to access gui.No password set.

Reply - Uninstall/install new version.

Second email - Um, err won't uninstall in shadow mode.

Reply - Please replace the ptfltr.sys to
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\ptfltr.sys, and commit it to the original
    volume, then reboot.
    After reboot, you will can luanch the UI of SD. I'm very sorry to
    subject you to this trouble.

Left it that but where was I to get ptfltr.sys to replace and commit.I'm probably missing something simple there.Could have grabbed one out of an image I suppose.

Besides that glitch I am really liking Shadow Defender with it's ability to shadow all partitions, drop out a folder to save things to and commit anything on the fly.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I like the most about SD, which seems to be quite unique compared with other immediate system recovery softwares + the fact that it passed some serious destructive tests.

18. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

This software looks very good. Have to buy it now. Maybe they change license type soon :)

19. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Haven't been able to access Shadow Defender's homepage for a couple of days now.

Can someone try it please.Link is in Erik's post below.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This link works fine for me :
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/

21. Peter2150

Just tried it, and it worked.

22. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

I have been unable to access the Shadowdefender website for the last few days. What could be the problem?

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You might have a local DNS problem. Works fine for me. Try the direct IP address http://75.126.78.35/

Blue

24. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Same for me here. Tried all the links, but no good.

25. Peter2150

Very strange. Just tried with no problem. Also just downloaded new version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.