Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This healthy recovery was due to VM or SD? I mean ur VM is set to retain changes on reboot or not?
    Thanks

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Good question. I asked this too, but never got a reply. So I'm still not sure if ShadowDefender did well or not.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I saw this program on Softpedia's "latest software" page a week or so ago. It even was worth an "Editor's Rating". It got a 4.7/5. They liked it. No question it's a legit program, I had forgotten about it. I might give it a whirl with the 3-day free trial. The lengthy review from Softpedia's editor is here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Shadow-Defender-Review-63208.shtml

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, yes, try KillDisk! If it can survive the shock, I am interesting, although I am very happy with DeepFreeze right now. If it fails, nothing but a promise built on sand bed, eh ?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Aigle

I am not touching this with a 10 foot pole. It so smells of being a knock off of Shadow User.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Given that appreciable sections of the English language documentation directly mirror that of ShadowUser Pro, I'd be much more comfortable with clarification of the situation provided directly by StorageCraft....

Blue

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hard to say as when I hit the only button I had left, which was the logoff button, the vista vm reverted to the small black startup screen and hung there.

MS Virtual PC 2007 here.

The only option I had was to go to the action tab and hit reset.

If that action emulates hitting the reset button on the real pc then it's a pass.

All in all I quite like this app and think it has potential.Such a small download and uses under half a meg of resources.

It's able to shadow all partitions with the option of unshadowing certain folders where you can save stuff that will be retained after exiting shadowmode.

Have reverted back to my Sandboxie/Returnil setup which is just fine and I'll leave any future heavy duty testings to those more adept at such.

8. LockBox

Do you mean as in stolen code or something?

9. LockBox

Good point. I shouldn't have jumped the gun based on SoftPedia.
    Better to err on the side of caution.
    For what it's worth, it's out of China.

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK Blue, unfamiliar with Shadowuser and I will stay away until the matter is sorted.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Should have shared this gem with us here earlier ......I only saw it yesterday.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was just curious.

13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

StorageCraft has abandoned ShadowUser's development a few years ago, no update, etc. They are onto ShadowProtect now.

You want to ask them about an abandoned product ?

Shadow Defender has what ShadowUser users have been asking all along, eg. password protect, etc. At 672KB exe file and doing all that ShadowUser has been doin and more with 6.3MB, this is a breakthrough !

14. BlueZannetti

nanana1,

I believe you have a few things to learn regarding commercial intellectual property rights. The program has not been abandoned with respect to those criteria. StorageCraft still sells and provides support for the program, although even if this were not the case, they would still retain rights to the program and documentation.

I happen to be a ShadowUser Pro licensee. I use it on occasion as well. Would I like an update/refresh of the program? Sure. On the other hand, it works as is.

As for the situation vis a vis StorageCraft and ShadowDefender, that's beyond the scope of my personal knowledge. However, I would make no assumptions either way.

Blue

15. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Correctly, I have many things to learn.......still learning !

All I wanted to say is that StorageCraft has abandoned ShadowUser's development, yes that means to continue to develop it further with new features and version 3 updates, etc. Don't think I am wrong to say that of StorageCraft, right ? They have done well with ShadowProtect...ATM.

Shadow Defender has definitely now taken it further with this release.
    Let's hope they develop this further to allow exit session without reboot which will be the real breakthrough in this form of technology. Returnil has promised to take a look at it but is currently bogged down with other issues.

16. BlueZannetti

As a licensee of ShadowUser Pro, I would have hoped for more maintenance care and feeding of the application. It clearly needs refining.
    Yes, rather well at that, so they're clearly a capable organization.
    Being able to jump into and out of Shadow states without requiring a restart is certainly be a very desireable end. I really don't have a feel for the technical issues involved in achieving this, so I really can't comment on feasibility, but as a user, it would be a feature that I would greatly appreciate.

Blue

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not that Storagecraft abandoned it, but I believe it was grnxnm who stated, that ShadowUser is a total loss to them due to piracy.

When you find as Blue pointed out documentation that is word for word mirroring it is just a but suspicious.

At best their claim of a "new" approach raises a bit of credibility.

With Returnil and Sandboxie, I just don't have the motivation to get excited about this.

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I don't think this will appeal that much to Returnil users as they would to ShadowUser/Deepfreeze users. I know it does not appeal to you but it does to me and others, I think. As one who will experiement/play/test with new softwares as is the draw of this forum, your motivation or lack of is suspect.

Note : I am not related to Shadow Defender in any way. I just "defend" what I think is a worthy software and fair views and opinions that is to be shared with others in this forum.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Looks good on paper or make that print, but being the old-fashioned mind that is my nature, i prefer to wait on newer releases of a very efficient shadowing/virtualization program named PowerShadow Master myself.

It does now appear that the long awaited technology capability of also exiting a virtualized session WITHOUT REBOOT is not without severe limitations, but who knows, some clever coder just may get lucky enough to make that a reality someday. Then again, it may be totally out of pattern due to M$'s code base structure.

Time will surely tell.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just wonder... what kind of reception will this app get if it is a freeware? would it be treated like Power Shadow? Aside from this, I do like to know whether it has a physical EARTH address other than cyber email one. Is it from this planet? Normally I do not trust any commercial product bearing no land address. Visitors are not welcomed to their quarter ? Strange, indeed.

21. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I dont want to put down the product because I havnt tried it, but there are a few things about the way it is being presented that make me a little cautious to say the least. In response to Nanana's post about lack of motivation to test it, I think there are other factors worth considering.

It comes from China which may or may not be in itself reason for suspicion, but together with the obvious similarity/mirroring of documentation to Shadow User, and the fact that something is not quite right with the "claims" about the programs capabilities, I will also leave it to others to decide whether or not it should be given the "Wilders Treatment"

Ken

22. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Can you enlighten us what other factors worth considering ?

I am not sure if this software is from China since their website does not says so. But what discrimination you have about software from China ! Obvious similarity/mirror of document to ShadowUser is for StorageCraft to deal with, would they know and not do anything about this o_O And what is that something that is not quite right with the "claims" about the program capabilities ?? Be specific, kennyboy.

Shadow Defender has taken this technology much beyond ShadowUser by allowing to go into Shadowmode without reboot, password protect, etc.

If such seen so far is the renown "Widers Treatment", then it is better without it !

23. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Not singling anyone here but what's this suspicion for software from China? a comment I've seen a few times now - crazy.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't have a problem with China or Chinese people, I can't read their websites about their softwares, except one website translated in English. That keeps me away from using their softwares. I would do the same with Arabian softwares.

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Shadow Defender is all written in simple English that all can understand.
    Link is provided for your convenience here... http://www.shadowdefender.com/

Let's not discriminate ANY country for software, be it Returnil from Latvia with R&D labs based in China or Power Shadow or Shadow Defender.

The main contention is that Shadow Defender has taken its software to the next level allowing Shadowmode without reboot, password protect, etc. and hopefully chasing the holy grail of exiting Shadowmode without reboot. Same challenge applies to Returnil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.