Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

116 Mb (Drives C & D - system & data Total drive size each = 250 Gb),
    139 mb ( Drives E & F - music & video total drive size = 300 Gb each)

Guess these files are fixed at around 2% of total drive size.

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Upz for a new version.....1.0.0.123o_O

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whats different. Can you tell.

4. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Have not tried new version yet but was running the one before this and I noticed I was getting errors when I run my SyncBack SE backup routine copying and delting files off a partition that was not shadowed. With Returnil I have no such problems. May try this new SD version to see if I continue to get these errors. Anyone else have this type of conflict and thanks.

Gary

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

how would we know? This is a software developer that does not communicate or post change logo_O

6. Peter2150

I know, and I suspect it is a language problem. I encouraged him to come to wilders, and he responded his english wasn't good enough. Someone most have been translating.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

He could post his replies in Chinese(is it possible ?), someone here will be more than happy to translate them into readable English, :) Take care, hoping he is reading this forum right now, Oops, it is mid night in Beijing.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No matter what you do, languages like Chinese will always be a problem, you can't even read their websites. You always have to depend on second hand out-of-date information that is translated in English and all the rest is Chinese.
    Such softwares are good for playing and testing, but using them as a permanent solution is a problem for me. :)

9. Peter2150

Erik, I am not sure that is valid. Prosecurity is developed by a chinese citizen, but he speaks english. Returnil is developed abroad, but has a US representative.

The problem is that a developer has to do more than code, he has to be able to market and over come language problems. That is the problem here.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

Make "English" mandatory as second language in every school of non-english speaking countries and there won't be a problem anymore. As long they don't do this there will never be a world-language.

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

You can imagine over the other non-English forums, your post would read as

"Make "Chinese" mandatory as second language in every school of non-chinese speaking countries and there won't be a problem anymore. As long they don't do this there will never be a world-language."

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

IMO, this old saying is valid throughout each embarrassing situation like the one in question: In Rome, do what Romans do. You want people to use , to adopt your product, please, please use the language (vital tool) they do understand, so that they can either accept you further or reject you right there. The dream of hoping them to understand thru third party assistance is totally insane. This theory applies to all languages (of course, Chinese and English are among them).

13. ErikAlbert

English already dominates any means that bring people together : communication, computers, transportation and even spacecraft.
    If every country puts its chauvinism and narrowmindness aside and learns English as SECOND language, it will be alot more easier in the world.
    Don't create a problem, fix the problem.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

it does make sense in theory;
    In realty---what kind of languages are spoken during United Nations General Assembly ? And how many ? ;) It is a big problem in this SMALL world.

15. screamer

screamer Registered Member

If I remember correctly this was previously suggested by the author of Mein Kampf, but the language wasn't English.

Erik, we live in a (pretty much) free world. While it may make sense to us... You can't force "make mandatory" ESL i.e. English Second Language.

paba ingles mu shu zippi tow fun dong chu

...screamer_son

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  16. ErikAlbert

German as world language ? No way man. English is already the world language, they just don't know it yet. Nobody was forced to learn English, it just evolved that way and nothing will stop this anymore. Making English mandatory as second language will grow gradually.

17. Peter2150

I think this has drifted off topic more then far enough. It is only relevance to this thread was lack of communication from the vendor.

Lets get back on the topic - Shadow Defender.

Pete

18. galloc76

galloc76 Registered Member

Peter, I have some questions about shadow defender:

-Where does it store the sandbox? in RAM or on the hd?

-If I install something that updates the registry (shadowed), can I commit
    those changes from within SD, or must I disable SD first to make such a change permanent?

-Can I install an app that requires reboot with SD running?

-Would I ever need to defragment the shadowed part of my hard drive (will the file allocation always remain the same) and if so, should I disable SD before I defrag?

-Could I turn off shadowing on a non-primary partition without rebooting?

-Are there any other sandbox apps that let you pick directories to exclude, and let you turn off shadowing without rebooting that you know of?

This seems like a great app, I'm considering buying it.

Thanks.

19. Peter2150

Has to be the hard drive someplace. I've tested this by coping a 12 gig file to the disk. No way that was in ram.

When a program only changes stuff in one directory, I've committed it. But if it modifies the registry, thats scattered in several files. I'd do that with SD disabled.

If you wanted to watch the install process, yes, but remember everything is gone with a reboot. So a permenent install requiring reboot...No.

No way to access it. So only defrag with SD disabled.

No. Only way to turn it off is reboot. This is the number one request, but so far has proved elusive.

There might be Powershadow, which I haven't used. Big thread on it here though. Also maybe Shadowuser, by storagecraft.

By the way, Welcome to Wilders.

Pete

20. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.