Newest Kid on the Block - Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by nanana1, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I just did a windows update, and am retesting. If I have further problems, I will pull SD until we here from the developer. What is strange is just appearing, although I honestly don't run shadowed for a long period for the most part.

2. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

Pete
    I'm not seeing these problems & have been in Shadow Mode all day.
    I'm using 1.0.0.95.
    Do you think it may be related to your RAID set up as I'm just using SATAs in JBOD configuration.
    However I agree we need some feedback from the developer.
    I'm going to try a prolonged Shadow Mode after committing some changes from this period & see what happens.
    Lee

3. Peter2150

No, I don't think it's raid. I fired Shadow Mode back up on 91. All seemed well until I copied a 300mb file to the desktop and tried to commit it. It didn't work. From then on my graphic's froze up. If I opened a program it would pop up on the screen, if I closed it the program would close but the screen display didn't change. I was able to do a graceful shutdown.

Try running all day, and then with other stuff going on, copy a large file to your desktop and try and commit it. See what happens.

I'd love to work with the developer on this, but he hasn't responded. Hopefully he is just on vacation, or something like that.

Pete

4. L Bainbridge

Pete

Tried as you suggested.
    downloaded Shift Linux to desktop (600Mb) whilst running MS Powerpoint, Firefox, Thunderbird & ripping CD simultaneously.Committed desktop changes & reboot (total Shadow time 12 hrs - since this am).
    reboot clean as a whistle & no problems.
    Strange....

Lee

5. Peter2150

It is strange, and I'd love to work it thru with the developer, but..... I am going to run under the same conditions tomorrow, with the Returnil beta.

6. Peter2150

Ran today with Returnil, and it performed flawlessly. I hope we hear from the SD developer, but until we do.....

7. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This is very disappointing after-sales support, or rather...no support, response, etc.:mad:

Suggest any potential order to this vendor be delayed, suspended or hold off until we get support.o_O

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have to agree here. I have multiple emails in to support now for two weeks. No response to any of them.

Blue

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have been scouting Chinese web sites, blog markets, and have not yet spot any interests / discussion to it so far. By reviewing some of the flashbacks, I do have a bone-chill feeling, this kid may in fact try to pull a quick foreign bucks. In one of his posts, if indeed are his own, he was very surprised of learning his then master piece been widely cooking among foreign gurus. To this day, I have not found any Chinese version of his paper-thin invention in any of the popular d/l sites there. Hoping my feeling is way way off tracks. Have a nice day.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

There's no denying that this software is good, it's the after-sales support or lack of that stinks. If this continues, this seems to be the final version of this software with no further improvement to be expected. If you can't fix bugs and improve your software code, what's else is there to be expected ?:mad:

Therefore, all here should be warned to hold off, delay or postpone any further purchase of this software until we see positive signs of response from this software developer.:thumbd:

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You are absolutely right. Bugs are discovered by users with a good degree of knowhow, developer needs to duplicate the situation in order to fix them. In the process he may require to acquire same or similar apps to produce these bugs, a new kid with limited financial resources(in term of affordability there to purchase a foreign software), he may have a will and a strong desire to do so, but may just have to stop right there. Without any S.O.S. help from English-literate friends, his hands are firmly tied. Good luck to all.

12. Peter2150

Sad if true, as he responded so quickly to early posts. Time will tell. Perman thanks for keeping us up to date.

Pete

13. BlueZannetti

A new build (1.0.0.116) appeared a few days ago, see ShadowDefender website. No mention of changes.

Still no contact from support and it's now over a month since the initial communication to them......

Not sure if build 116 will address the problems seen by me in build 95, but the earlier builds did work as desired, that's the upside. Of course, there are plenty of options available in this genre.

Blue

14. Peter2150

Hi Blue

You going to test it and see?? Keep us posted.

Pete

15. BlueZannetti

Well, since I have a license..., why not (although it would be nice if Support actually acknowledged that as well...).

So far, it's working fine under the conditions I had problems previously. Time's a little short. If it goes a day or so without issue, I'd say that the issues I encountered are probably fixed.

Blue

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well if it works for you then maybe they did communicate with you but just in a different way, with a product that works! :D

17. BlueZannetti

That's actually a quite valid point, especially since there is not a lot of configuration issues to deal with.

By the way - it's still working under yesterday's shadow session, which would not have been possible under the 95 build, so results thus far are quite encouraging.

Blue

18. BlueZannetti

No issues over the past few days. Absolutely none. The problems that I saw seem resolved.

Blue

19. L Bainbridge

Agreed, seems very stable so far.
    I found updating from SD build 1.0.0.95 a bit troublesome & had to uninstall .95 1st.
    Interestingly, on installing SD build 1.0.0.116, it immediately recognised that it was already registered despite me clearing out both Documents & Settings/ Application data for SD & its program files folder.
    I wondered whether it's behaving a bit like Power Shadow & writing to 'hidden' sections of the HD.

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi BlueZannetti,

can you give us some info on how is performing after using it for a week. I downloaded and installed it but am not in the mood to perform new tests.

ps. the exclude folder option serves for excluding only the files or the subfolders too? I cannot find any info about this.

21. BlueZannetti

I haven't seen any problems to date. No unexplained restarts, crashes, or anything else out of the ordinary. Extremely stable thus far.

Blue

22. pandlouk

Thanks Blue,

I guess it's time to give it another try. :)

23. L Bainbridge

I've been using SD for a week or so now.
    Has been on continuously for 48 hours & no problems.
    I've tried copying/ moving multiMB files with no problems so far.

24. pandlouk

After running in shadow mode for 6 days I can confirm that this is a very stable version.

25. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

How big are the hidden DISKPT0.SYS files on your drives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.