newbie trying to decide between ZA and Sygate?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pattie43, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pattie43

pattie43 Registered Member

Hi
    I am new to using firewalls. I have a router that has NAT but after reading up found out that I should also be using a software based firewall. XP firewall doesnt let me connect via ICQ so I went hunting and found, Sygate and ZA free versions. I am hooked through cable so I am connected all the time. I don't like shutting down my computer since I am on it off and on all the time. When I reboot sygate askes if I want to allow generic host 32? I have no idea why it askes me this three times sometimes four. Should I be allowing it? I cant find out exactly what it is. Should I be using sygate or ZA? I have read some of the threads since finding this site today and ZA was the one mentioned but I didnt find any mention of sygate.
    Any help and advice is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Patti

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Patti

Welcome to Wilders :).

Without knowing what specific type of communication it was trying to make, it is hard to say. Most likely something required by the system - DHCP or DNS. In which case you would want to allow outbound connections, but not inbound. Be sure to double check any application rules in Sygate as I believe they default to allowing inbound connections (allow to act as a server), something you do not want to do.

A couple of links that may provide some more answers:
    http://forums.sygatetech.com/vb/
    http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/i/k/ikpe/

Both are good firewalls, it will be a matter of which one you are most comfortable with using and configuring.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. pattie43

pattie43 Registered Member

Thank you so much. I will try to figure out what the 32 thing is that it is asking for. I know there are several for the operating system just didnt know why they would need to connect. and I will also check and make sure nothing is marked as server.
    Patti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.