Newbie - System fails to boot after splitting drive - (Not C)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by avoutlet, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avoutlet

avoutlet Registered Member

I just purchased Disk Director 10.0 a few days ago. I purchased this software so that I could split some partions on my primary C: drive of our computers. Just to be safe I tried the splitting option on a less critical drive which was a back up drive for one of my computers. (Still has valuable data on it though). Anyhow, I started the operation and rebooted. The program ran through up to 100% and the screen when to a static screen where it said
    Completetion: (No Info Displayed)
    Erros: (No Info Displayed)

I left the system as I was not sure if it truly was done or not. When I came back in app. 45 min it was still on the same screen. It seemed to be frozen so I forced a restart at which time my computer would not start because the Bios could no longer see the second drive. I had to go into the bios and turn off the second drive to get my system to start up. Now I can not access the data on my back-up drive that I was trying to split. I tried the recover utility but Disk Director can not see the drive either because the Bios has it turned off.

Yes I was testing on a less valuable drive but I need to recover the data on this disk. Please advise what I should do.

System is a Dell 9100, XP MCE, two SATA Drives 180 and 200GB. The system is app. 2 months old. The back up drive (200GB) with the problem is less than a month old.

Thanks
    Ken

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello avoutlet,

If it is possible to get your system boot from floppy with your second hard disk drive turned on please do the following:

- Download Acronis Report utility from http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe;
    - Run Acronis Report utility and select the "Create bootable floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive and proceed with creating the bootable diskette;
    - Boot the computer under consideration from this diskette and wait for report creation process to complete;
    - Send us the report.txt file from the floppy disk.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Semyonov Vasily

3. avoutlet

I do not have a Floppy Drive unfortunately. Do you have a way to burn a Bootable CD with the report Utility?

4. avoutlet

Can I make a bootable floppy from another PC and then burn the contents onto a CD? Or does it have to be done on the PC with problems? I can't move the drives as the other computers are not SATA compatible.

5. tggel

tggel Guest

Go to

Code:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/
    about halfway down the page you can get the Clean Bootable CD-Rom . There are also many other options on this page that may help.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello avoutlet,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that if BIOS does not recognize your hard drive then the problem is most likely related to the hard drive itself. Actually, Acronis Disk Director Suite cannot result in any on the hardware-level.

I'm afraid that we do not have any other way to create Acronis Report in case your operating system does not boot.

In case you want to proceed with the investigation of this issue I would recommend you to borrow a floppy drive and create Acronis Report mentioned above.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.