Newbie Question 2, about changing BIOS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by msmisfit, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmisfit

msmisfit Registered Member

ATI 9 logs tell me everything installed successfully, however I was unable to test my rescue CD, I assume because of my boot sequence. When I reboot the ATI disk is ignored, and Windows starts as usual.

I've read a lot and can't find the instructions on how to change the BIOS. I'm also worried about what it does... when it IS read. It is going to stop and ask me what to do... right? ;)

"bVolt" told me at this point, I would select FULL... and I was wondering WHAT I SHOULD be looking at then, when the rescue disk boots up? A DOS or ATI screen? I apologize if I've been told this before, my short term memory is deplorable, and as you probably know by now, quite anxious about this process. :)

Also in looking through the WinXP Computer Management Event log after the installation/backup, there were a lot of 7023 Event errors in the System log that make me nervous. Hope that's not an indication of problems to come. :\ Otherwise install went smoothly... TIA for your continuing, patient help.

mm

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

When you boot, something like “Press F2 to enter BIOS” or “Press Esc For Setup” should appear, although probably briefly. This tells you how to get into the BIOS. Or you can check your motherboard doc.
    There will be an option to set your boot order. You just need to be sure that your CD drive is selected as a possible boot device and that it is listed before your HD.
    The TI boot CD will launch and look pretty much like a normal app – it will not do anything until you tell it to.

3. msmisfit

My motherboard was just replaced after lightning fried my original MB in August, and I have absolutely nothing on it. I'll watch for the loading blip, that I hope is there. :)

Thanks so much for your detailed response, and assurance it will stop for instructions. That's a biggie. ;)

mm

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi again msmisfit,

After you resolve the boot order as per TheWeaz's instructions (by the way, a third option may be the Delete key, if F2 and Esc do not work, and any one key you try, press it quickly and repeatedly to make it catch) and you then boot from the Rescue CD, you come to a TI graphical screen that does not appear when you start TI from Windows. On this "selection" screen there are three options to select from with your mouse: Safe, Full and Boot into Windows. You select Full and the booting process continues ending with the main TI menu that resembles the TI main menu from Windows.

About the ID 7023 error you may have a look here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328213/EN-US/

If that doesn't apply (and I hope your case is simpler), Event Log gives you the option to copy the error message to clipboard and post it here. Someone may be able to help. Or just google for ID 7023.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  5. msmisfit

Hi bVolk!

So sorry I mangled your name... :doubt: Thank you so much for your usual great descriptions of what I need to do. I wish every technical forum was as great as this one this. :)

I really appreciate you researching the 7023 error. It doesn't seem like it should be a problem, but I've bookmarked that, in case I will have to get a hotfix [as described] there.

Don't know when I'll finish, but when I do, I'll come back to let you know, and thank you again. Notice, I am getting *optimistic* that I WILL finish. ;)

mm

6. msmisfit

Re: Newbie Question 2, @ BIOS - Success!

Hi Gang -
    Thanks to all of you, I got the rescue disk validated the other day, after changing my BIOS to check the CD drive before HD. "Delete" was the key on my system. Validation worked like a charm.

I was going to wait to respond until I had tried to use the software to backup something to CDs, and see how that went, but that's taking longer than I expected. So I'll start a new thread when I tackle that. :)

I'm confused about all the advice here about not activating [or using?] the "Startup Recovery Manager". I installed the complete program and don't know whether that has been activated or not. What should I know about it's use or activation? TIA... all.

mm

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

The installation does not activate the SRM – you have to go through the steps manually yourself to do that. First, you must create an Acronis Secure Zone (which does not require the SRM) and then activate the SRM (which does require the ASZ). The SRM will alter your MBR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.