Newbie Q about graphic driver

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by woomera, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woomera

woomera Registered Member

last year i tried to give ubuntu a go and see if i can manage to migrate from my windows to linux and ubuntu was the most famous at the time.
    i managed to get everything running like basic needs ie, browser/player/email client... but i got stuck at installing my graphic driver.
    simply there were no control panel and no support for dual monitor. i was trying to install the driver from repository included in the ubuntu then i realized theres an official driver in the ATI website which i never succeeded in installing even though i tried fro several days and read many articles, there was an error which i couldnt get pass it.

anyway since then i have bought a new laptop which uses nvidia geforce 540m and i thought i give this another try but before i start i wanted to make sure that there's a fully functional graphic driver for nvidia graphic cards and if it requires an advance use to install it1?

thanks for any help in advance :cheers:

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you can install jockey-gtk

it will check your drivers and suggests updates for them.
    very easy to use.

3. woomera

woomera Registered Member

ok im downloading mint ATM to give this a try, how do i install jockey-gtk? from program manager?

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

from Synaptic.
    just type jockey-gtk in it, Mark for Installation, then apply.

then run the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.