Newbie Q about graphic driver

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by woomera, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woomera

woomera Registered Member

last year i tried to give ubuntu a go and see if i can manage to migrate from my windows to linux and ubuntu was the most famous at the time.
    i managed to get everything running like basic needs ie, browser/player/email client... but i got stuck at installing my graphic driver.
    simply there were no control panel and no support for dual monitor. i was trying to install the driver from repository included in the ubuntu then i realized theres an official driver in the ATI website which i never succeeded in installing even though i tried fro several days and read many articles, there was an error which i couldnt get pass it.

anyway since then i have bought a new laptop which uses nvidia geforce 540m and i thought i give this another try but before i start i wanted to make sure that there's a fully functional graphic driver for nvidia graphic cards and if it requires an advance use to install it1?

thanks for any help in advance :cheers:

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

you can install jockey-gtk

it will check your drivers and suggests updates for them.
    very easy to use.

3. woomera

woomera Registered Member

ok im downloading mint ATM to give this a try, how do i install jockey-gtk? from program manager?

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

from Synaptic.
    just type jockey-gtk in it, Mark for Installation, then apply.

then run the program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.