Newbie backup and restore question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bracknellyesfan, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bracknellyesfan

bracknellyesfan Registered Member

Hi,

I've just installed TI 10 and have created a disk image and a backup of my \documents and settings\*.* on an external USB drive. So...a number of questions.

1. When i do repeated differential backups of my documents and settings i end up with the original full.tib file and a number of other e.g. original full1.tib, originalfull2.tib etc.. I'm assuming, and that i've read the help file correctly, that i only need the original full.tib plus the latest differential to fully restore my documents and settings..correct. I also assume therefore that i can delete any differntial .tibs other than the latest.

2. If i want to restore from a full plus differential backup set which one do i do first, the full or the differential, or will TI take care of this for me?

3. when doing a scheduled task backup (typically a differential on my documents and settings) what happens if applications such as Outlook or Word have document sopen. Will the backup miss those files or should i expect an error or what?

Many thanks

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello bracknellyesfan,

I don't know whether it's fixed in TI 10. There was a problem with TI 9.0 in that you could restore using the full image plus any one of the remaining differentials but couldn't Validate unless all the previous differential were also present.

Just select the Differential and TI will do the rest.

As soon as you select Proceed, TI takes a snapshot of the hard drive being imaged, including any open files. Any changes to the open files carried out after that point will not be captured in the image but will be written to the source drive after those particular files have been imaged.

Regards

Many thanks[/quote]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.