NEWBI: Still trying to create a bootable Recovery DVD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jPaulB, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for dropping by and offering to help me with this issue.
    I downloaded an installation from Paragon for “Paragon Backup and Restore 2012 (free)” on Monday. I gather that Microsoft has changed many things since the documentation concerning restore media was packaged for the restore program.

My intention: To prepare a working and bootable CD/DVD so that any backup files created by Paragons’ B&R have purpose. (After 3 days, the only thing I am sure about is that my HDD will eventually fail and need replacing)

The net issue is that:
    • I can not create a bootable DVD. (Does it matter? DVD or CD)
    What I have done:
    • I have downloaded KB3AIK_EN.iso from Microsoft.
    • I have run the Tools -> Recovery Media Builder which does write several files (21) and directories (4) to the DVD. However, it is not bootable nor do I see an executable that would allow for recovery.
      I have run the StartCD.exe from the DVD. This is simply Microsofts' Automated Install Kit but it appears to be something for way more senior technicians than I am. All I was able to accomplish was to write a new directory on my HDD at "C:/Program Files/Windows AIK"

Can someone help me out here, to actually create a bootable DVD? I have no idea what to do next.

Many thanks,
    -PAUL-

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't think the free Paragon program you are using comes with a winpe creating function.

I think there a Linux based recovery .iso included, which can be burned to dvd.

There is a little program I posted up here PARAGONPEv4.zip which will make it for you if you are running win7.

You need to rt click>properties>unblock>Apply>OK.

Then unzip onto your hard drive. Directly onto your C drive is best. Then rt click and RUN AS ADMIN on the .cmd file.

3. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Thank you so much, SIW2

This is a huge relief!! I am actually surprised that I was so comfortable with a DOS prompt screen.

In any event, it’s done and I have the ISO directory. What do I do next? Simply copy the directory contents to a DVD? That’s it?

Thanks
    -Paul-

btw: I've noticed I have a new storage space: BD-ROM Drive (L:) KB3AIK_EN.... I've never seen that drive beforeo_O Is it part of your process?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That is the download of WAIK you made from ms.

Nothing to do with my little program.

5. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

I was just mildly curious about it,but I'm still wondering what the next steps are to create the actual bootable DVD from your files.

Thanks
    -Paul-

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

7. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Thank You Sir !!

I don't know what I might have done wrong the first time either.

At this point, I am just so happy and relieved to have a bootable disk that works, and looks as though it’s even ready for a Paragon Restore.

Hot Dog!!!!
    (forgive my enthusiasm)

Thank you, once again

-Paul-

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Congratulations. I hope the "works" is more than just "it boots".

9. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Haaa Haaa, good point seekforever.

It is a good boot, right to a handy window-program written by SIW2. Only two choices on that menu that I understood were Paragon I and Explore. Both were functional.

Again my thanks to SIW2... I benefited from a fair amount of his hard work. I benefited a lot actually.

My next objective will to finish a backup and see how the restore performs.
    My first attempt just froze my system so I want to get a better idea of what a "virtual mode" is. It might not have been a freeze, but rather normal for "virtual mode".

Thanks again, fellows
    -Paul-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.