NEWBI: Still trying to create a bootable Recovery DVD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jPaulB, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for dropping by and offering to help me with this issue.
    I downloaded an installation from Paragon for “Paragon Backup and Restore 2012 (free)” on Monday. I gather that Microsoft has changed many things since the documentation concerning restore media was packaged for the restore program.

My intention: To prepare a working and bootable CD/DVD so that any backup files created by Paragons’ B&R have purpose. (After 3 days, the only thing I am sure about is that my HDD will eventually fail and need replacing)

The net issue is that:
    • I can not create a bootable DVD. (Does it matter? DVD or CD)
    What I have done:
    • I have downloaded KB3AIK_EN.iso from Microsoft.
    • I have run the Tools -> Recovery Media Builder which does write several files (21) and directories (4) to the DVD. However, it is not bootable nor do I see an executable that would allow for recovery.
      I have run the StartCD.exe from the DVD. This is simply Microsofts' Automated Install Kit but it appears to be something for way more senior technicians than I am. All I was able to accomplish was to write a new directory on my HDD at "C:/Program Files/Windows AIK"

Can someone help me out here, to actually create a bootable DVD? I have no idea what to do next.

Many thanks,
    -PAUL-

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I don't think the free Paragon program you are using comes with a winpe creating function.

I think there a Linux based recovery .iso included, which can be burned to dvd.

There is a little program I posted up here PARAGONPEv4.zip which will make it for you if you are running win7.

You need to rt click>properties>unblock>Apply>OK.

Then unzip onto your hard drive. Directly onto your C drive is best. Then rt click and RUN AS ADMIN on the .cmd file.

3. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Thank you so much, SIW2

This is a huge relief!! I am actually surprised that I was so comfortable with a DOS prompt screen.

In any event, it’s done and I have the ISO directory. What do I do next? Simply copy the directory contents to a DVD? That’s it?

Thanks
    -Paul-

btw: I've noticed I have a new storage space: BD-ROM Drive (L:) KB3AIK_EN.... I've never seen that drive beforeo_O Is it part of your process?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That is the download of WAIK you made from ms.

Nothing to do with my little program.

5. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

I was just mildly curious about it,but I'm still wondering what the next steps are to create the actual bootable DVD from your files.

Thanks
    -Paul-

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

7. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Thank You Sir !!

I don't know what I might have done wrong the first time either.

At this point, I am just so happy and relieved to have a bootable disk that works, and looks as though it’s even ready for a Paragon Restore.

Hot Dog!!!!
    (forgive my enthusiasm)

Thank you, once again

-Paul-

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Congratulations. I hope the "works" is more than just "it boots".

9. jPaulB

jPaulB Registered Member

Haaa Haaa, good point seekforever.

It is a good boot, right to a handy window-program written by SIW2. Only two choices on that menu that I understood were Paragon I and Explore. Both were functional.

Again my thanks to SIW2... I benefited from a fair amount of his hard work. I benefited a lot actually.

My next objective will to finish a backup and see how the restore performs.
    My first attempt just froze my system so I want to get a better idea of what a "virtual mode" is. It might not have been a freeze, but rather normal for "virtual mode".

Thanks again, fellows
    -Paul-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.