New ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

"with a smaller footprint too". What does that expression mean ? I've seen that expression often at Wilders.
    I don't step on ZA, I like ZA, so there is no footprint, not even a small one.
    Does it mean lesser resources or what ? Yes, English isn't my first language.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The expression can refer to resource usage and other things like installed size on hard disk.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

CrazyM,
    Thanks for explaining it. It's annoying, when you understand each word in an expression and still don't get it.
    Nevertheless, I was very close, that's a comfort. :D

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yes you were very close. We`ll have you tuned into the way we can mangle our own language in no time. :)

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

This latest version seems to have solved the BOClean Dangerous App issue that I had raised ages ago in this thread.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=90882

Excellent news that zonelabs seem to have solved it themselves without Kevin or Nancy haveing to solve it for them

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I had to rush back to 6.0 for the zlclient part
    during installation it gave MSIMG32.DLL connected to non-existing export GDI32.DLL and could not execute external program \\zlclient.exe
    Those are related, so after various uninstalls and new tries i went back to the former version, but as i didn't do a complete clean uninstall i now have the truevector 6.1* mixed with the former zlclient 6.0*.
    I know i should do a real complete clean uninstall soon but first wanted to know if the former version could be installed again at all.
    Only, how to do a complete clean uninstall?
    In the ZA forum was an instruction to Start > Program Files > Zonealarm > Uninstall...exe rightclick on that one to get a box to be able to type /clean but i did not get such a menu or box so i just pressed the uninstall with now this mess.
    Guess i should use the "run"box and do it from there locating the uninstall exe etc and after find all folders and directories and files as told on the za uninstall site.

My system is a bit slower at starting applications, probably checking the exec for malware or validation, that kind of things.

PS: This was all on my win98 system, did not try it on the XP yet.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

When you right clicked the uninstall did you select properties? Once the properties window opens you should be able to edit/add the /clean switch.

Regards,

CrazyM

8. TraCKs

TraCKs Registered Member

Im very happy with the latest ZA update 6.1.737, I just wish it wouldnt take so long booting up, well at least the za icon appearing in the task bar. The earlier za 6.0.667 only took 10 secs to show in task bar, the za 6.1.737 can take up to 30 secs to appear in task bar, wondering if anyone else has the same experiances.....:) l

9. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Remember that ZA comes in two components, the True Vector Engine(vsmon.exe) and the GUI which includes the taskbar icon(zlclient.exe). The True Vector engine is the real heart and soul of ZA, and provides the protection. It also always loads up first as a Windows Service, even at the Windows login screen.

The GUI usually loads up last. However there is no compromise in protection as the True Vector Engine stops all inbound and outbound traffic until the GUI loads up (the GUI provides instructions to the engine on what is allowed to pass through).

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Running superb here, getting full speed with P2P.

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Oops, missed that part. I'll do next time.
    Somebody with a complete fresh Win98 system with all windows updates installed the 6.1* and had no trouble at all, even another try with 6.0* and upgrading it over it, still no trouble installing and starting it after reboot, so the GDI32.DLL problem must be from other applications.

12. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

I'm a long time Sygate user, now ready to try ZA. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or guide for setting up and tweaking ZA?

Thanks

13. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have used ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5 before. The user manual or help file of ZA itself is very detailed and very helpful.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo Registered Member

Forgot to mention, I will be using the free version. Does your answer apply to the free version too?
    Thanks

15. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Yes. The help file of ZA is quite easy to follow (IMHO). For the free version, there is not much to tweak anyway:)

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's install and go. Literally nothing to tweak at all.. :)

17. waters

waters Registered Member

Out of intrest i installed the free version.Very impressed with the speed.No slowdown at all.So impressed i thought i would try the suite.Oh dear,computer just slowed to a crawl.Put free back and running fine .Back to zone alarm after 3 years.This version and look n stop are the only firewalls that i have tried that dont slow surfing down

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK so it´s safe to install v6.1 I guess, I was just about to install 5.5 on my new machine since I heard so many bad things about the newer versions. :)

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nothing but good things here on 6.1 so far...

20. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Hoov who is one of the Gurus at the ZoneAlarm forum has a website with instructions for configuring ZA:
    http://donhoover.net/

Take note that some of them do not apply to the free version:
    ICS
    Expert Rules,
    Privacy

21. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Thanks for that link unhappy_viewer.

22. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

Another waste of 30 minutes or so. Every ZoneAlarm release since 6.x has always blocked all Internet access, blocked all access to router (router IP is in trusted zone), and does not allow any DNS lookup.

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 UR1

- clean uninstall (with /clean trick)
    - reboot
    - still unable to browse
    - reboot
    - still unable to browse
    - stopped DNS Client service
    - restarted DNS Client service
    - success!!!

Same thing with each release. Either ZA doesn't like routers or it doesn't like Windows 2000. This was never a problem with earlier releases, same setup, same router, etc. The ZA logs DO NOT even show anything being blocked. I can't believe it doesn't even allow me to access the router's config page.

If anybody else has this issue, the DNS Client trick worked for me.

23. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Sounds like your having one hell of a serious prob here. I use ZA Pro 6 the latest version, use Win 2000 Pro with SP4, Netgear DG834 ADSL Router, Netgear WG602 Wireless Access Point, Netgear FS524 24 port switch, Surecom 8 port switch, 3x desktops, 1xlaptop, 1x server and Ipaq 3970 PDA. Also got an external HDD which also runs off the LAN and is connected to my Netgear FS524 switch. All my PC's run ZA Pro 6 in conjunction with NOD32 apart from one which runs on Bitdefender Pro 9.

I've never encountered any probs what so ever with my setup like what you've had. I've got a feeling that when you setup your ZA Pro you have not done something right or blocked something which is not allowing you access.

What happens if you uninstall ZA, can you than get access to the net. I've also just tested a DNS lookup on my Netgear DG834 and worked like a charm.

BTW what modem/router are you using.

24. Dave-54321

Dave-54321 Guest

Albinoni,

When I install ZA (free) I lose all access to the Internet and the ability to connect to the router (D-Link DI-604) interface. Even after doing a clean uninstall of ZA all access is still lost, not even the router. There are no programs set to block, and there is no programs/traffic being blocked in the ZA logs either, unfortunately.

I can do a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and reproduce the problem each and every time. There is no other security software installed at the time either that would be interfering.

I did quite a bit of searching and found many others experiencing this problem, here is one of the links:
    http://www.computergripes.com/ZoneAlarm.html

I give up for now, I really don't think much of software firewalls anyways because well-configured routers do a decent job anyways with inbound.

Cheers!

25. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Dave, a question to ask you here. Have you tried a different version of ZA say like Pro 6. My other thought could be that the free edition that you downloaded is corrupted and might be best for you to try and re-download the latest version and re-install that, make sure that you uninstall the previous on on your PC.

I cannot understand that ZA will make a product and than deter peoples Pc's from working or functioning, sorry just doesn't sound very logical. I installed and ran ZA free on a PII last night through my network and she ran perfectly well. Also are you sure that your Dlink Router is not causing the probs. Are you able to try a different brand router, perhaps you may need to install the latest firmware for your router. I'm using Netgear and have never encountered this problem like you.

This would be my solution:

1. Re-download the latest version of ZA

2. Uninstall the free edition of ZA you currently have

3. Re-install the latest version again

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1001_cnet_zdnet/zlsSetup_61_737_000_en.exe

If not try the Pro trial version and see what happens.

Another thing I would do, would be to do a full virus, adaware and spyware scan on your HDD, as it might be worth it.

Also have you tried other firewalls, say like Sygate Free edition.

http://smb.sygate.com/download/download.php?pid=spf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.