new yahoo mail massive spam problem?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by imdb, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

howdya guys
    after a long time of resistance to switching, i unwillingly switched to new yahoo mail, because of some limitations classic version had.
    but, the very moment i switched to new version, hundreds of new contact requests and messages from complete strangers, people i don't know started to pop up. spam messages, no doubt about it.
    so i reverted back to good ol'classic mail. but i need to swicth to new version because of limitations. so, fellas, how can i prevent this from happening when i switch to new mail?
    thanks & regs.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I'm not signed up for pulse and have had the exact same thing. I have been with yahoo for over 6 years, and never had this issue until 2 weeks ago.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

In the link there are also instructions on making your profile private in addition to the Pulse issue. Myself, I have stuck with the old classic mail. With classic, I have not noticed any increase in spam. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I got a spam mail.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have had a Yahoo! Mail account for about 10 years, I haven't noticed any spam explosion yet (I've used the 'new' mail for quite a while). I hope this spam problem isn't a portent of things to come.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've used yahoo classic as a disposable for many years. It's always been a spam catcher, varying between 15 and 30 per month with a few infected each time. Just checked it and found 55 new spam in the last 3 weeks, 6 infected. As usual, the Norton scanner there doesn't detect the 2 most recent ones. It may be too soon for me to say that there's more spam, but if the rate I saw continues, I'll definitely say yes. I don't use their new mail so I can't comment on whether there's an additional increase due to exploiting its features.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have been using a Yahoo! mail as one of my spam mails for the last 8 - 9 years and well, with so many spam i don't even know if there is more or less, i just know there are thousands and thousands of spam mails. :D :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Roughly the same here. I do get a little spam but it's manageable.
    There were a few irritants but I worked them out: something about someone want to add me to their contacts, IIRC.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I have several Yahoo! Mail accounts, all are using the latest interface. I see very little spam in those accounts.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, they seemed to experiment with some sort of social networking nonsense for a while, but I haven't even seen that for a while. Thankfully.

11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank y'all, guys.

now that's what i'm talking about.
    and yes when i switch back to classic, all are gone.
    i'll give a try to what tgell said, and see if it sorts out the prob.
    regs.

edit: even though i never used it, source of the problem seems to be the integrated yahoo messenger's contact list settings.
    after i changed it, the problem's gone.
    regs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Finally, it has arrived downunder, but I am not ready or willing to make the switch. ;)

ScreenShot_Yahoo! Mail_upgrade_not yet_01.jpg

ScreenShot_Yahoo! Mail_upgrade_not yet_02.jpg

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yahoo!Mail...are getting tricky, but after clicking on 'No Thanks', it opened up to the "Classic" look. :)

ScreenShot_Yahoo!Mail_new_01.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.