New Windows Update v6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hayc59, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

i get this error when downloading the new engine??anyone help
    thank you
    Error number: 0x80070420

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

would love to give you a hand but when I updated it went smoothly with no problems.

3. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Gordon :)
    In the first instance i would do this
    2. Clear the Internet Explorer cache
    Start Internet Explorer.
    On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    Click the General tab.
    In the Temporary Internet files section, click Delete Cookies.
    Click OK in the Delete Cookies box.
    In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Delete Files.
    Select the Delete all offline content check box in the Delete Files dialog box.
    Click OK.
    In the History section, click the Clear History button.
    Click Yes.
    Click OK.
    Let us know how it goes OK

4. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi.

I had the same error just after upgrading to v6 of windowsupdate, disabling ProcessGuard & Giant AntiSpyware resident guards got me past it & to the scan page.

Problem is when i click custom check for updates, the green bar moves along & after a min all IE activity vanishes from Outposts network activity window, i left it running for 20 mins & no change.

Im think that there will have to be a update to Outposts windows update rulesets ( i use the secure config from agnitum forum )

5. hadi

hadi Guest

On the same error page youn have some option on how to tackle that error.
    Or see here
    http://www.msusenet.com/archive/index.php/f-78-p-423.html
    use Ctrl+F

6. hadi

hadi Guest

same thing here

7. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi bigc73542
    after downloading ActiveX, on next page I clicked
    "express" Get high-priority updates (recommended)
    then on the next page I got this

Ok selection on left are these

so where is the V6 and how long it took to update, what are the changes.Can you please provide an image if possible

8. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Glad it wasnt just me, have just tried lettin it scan again & this time it seems to have worked (at least it said no high priority updates)

I did notice tho in Outpost activity window that when i do scan for updates, Svchost.exe gets a few blocked DCOM requests

Main thing tho is it seems to work ok now & seems much quicker in scanning

9. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is the image you requested. and if you will notice it is microsoft updates not windows updates

Attached Files:

11. hadi

hadi Guest

@Oddbod
    @bigc73542
    yes I got the same screens
    the progress bar move and move and then(in the follwing page)

12. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm in the same situation as Oddbod -- if I use the Win Update tool, either from Start or from the IE Tools menu, I go to v5 as usual. (IE Tools is better -- the Start Menu one apparently simply uses your default browser, which in my case is Firefox.) And although the very first thing it says it's doing is checking for latest Update version, it carries on with the standard v5 scan.

Anyone who's successfully upgraded -- does this also look after renaming Win Update in Start and IE Tools in the process?

13. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi Mike.

On my XP SP2 even though i have Opera as my default browser, clicking the start menu shortcut for windows update always opens IE

After upgrading (not without a few errors & stalls) clicking the same start menu shortcut takes me to the v6 site, loks like the shortcuts are updated after upgrading.

I think M$ will add the newer activeX files to the v5 site very soon so that when u visit it, it will upgrade you first, then load up the v6 site.

Im happy they have improved the scanning speed though :)

14. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

15. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, Oddbod -- using your link, it downloaded and installed just fine.

I'm mildly surprised that MS got the cart before the horse, so to speak, and didn't set v6 up as a critical upgrade to v5. I'm also surprised that the IE menu entry didn't get renamed in the process (or a new entry added, as in the Start menu), but "Win Updates" does now take me to the MS v6 page rather than the Win v5 page.

And I agree, the new scan is quite a bit faster now.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

On my Win2000....it did not rename the Start Menu or IE Tools Windows Update shortcuts....it did add a Microsoft Update shortcut\new icon to the Start Mneu.

I initially updated to Windows Update v6(ActiveX control)....I then chose to update to the Microsoft Update v6(ActiveX control). The Microsoft Update mechanism not only deals with Windows....but also other Microsoft products....such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Exchange Server and Microsoft SQL Server....all in one convenient place. If I choose....I can disable Microsoft Update software and use Windows Update only.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.