New windows 11 pc security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ellison64, Apr 15, 2023.

1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I haven't kept up with security software or windows os for many years now (Ive used linux since windows 7)so need a little help setting up a windows 11 pc that I purchased for my 11 year,this weekend .I've enabled windows defender,and windows firewall.I've also installed adguard and use the adguard family dns for it.I'm using edge browser with adguard,as it runs fast and seems fine after changing a few settings .To be.honest everything is running great.Are these security choices enough or would you recommend something else?.Thanks in advance..

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows Security is enough IMO, but I would certainly add an imaging program just in case...

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Obviously you need configure the firewall, but I think you already made it. I'm happily paranoid :), so I can't think to use Windows without also an HIPS, or an anti exe, or some else security software more complete than an antivirus.

4. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

It all depends on what is being done with the Pc, if it is basic ordinary safe things, Windows security is enough. Go to Windows Security and see to it that everything is activated.

Activate Enhanced Security in Edge browser and shift to Cloudflare DNS which is faster and more secure. I have seen tests with Adguard that is not impressive so personally i would not trust it. All the security and a little lesson for a risk taking 11 year (pre-puberty) in what damage virus can do to a Pc should be enough.

I concur in what has been said, a backup program should be added. In fact, it is vital. Windows inbuilt is not reliable.

5. ellison64

I've enabled the firewall as is.Is there any particular thing I need to configure?.I've used many fire walls in past up to windows 7 but never the windows in built one, so im not sure what to alter from default?
    Thanks

6. ellison64

The pc in question has windows booting from an ss drive and storage from a regular 7200 hard drive.I've used imaging programs myself in past imaging from one hard drive to an external.Will there be a proplem with imaging from the two drives to an external hardrive and restoring back to the two hard drives if need be?.Also what would you currently recommed for simplicity?
    Thanks

7. ellison64

It will be basic stuff being done involving schoolwork ,youtube music and browsing.I have activated the enhanced security as suggested.I've used adguard since it first came out (admuncher before that) on my linux stuff and phones and never had any problems.That said I'm always open to more informarion and advice if there's a problem with it that I don't know about..Can you share your opinion on why you don't trust it?
    Thanks

8. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Firstly, you can not compare Linux with Windows, totally different ball game.

Adguard, and others block by lists, and others does a much better job according to tests. Tests that i could not find so i can not provide them. Adguard products overall, do more badly in test than one would think they would, so they are to a large degree depending on their good name based on past experiences from users.

Besides, they are Russians.

9. ellison64

Thanks..
    Personally I've never had any problems with russian software.That aside , I will look into whether its up to par or not with the competition .

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If I understand your post correctly the pc boots from an SSD and storage is in a mechanical drive. What is important is to create an image of the OS which is in the SSD, storage can be backed up simply by copy and paste. I have no advice as to which imaging program to use except the one I use in my signature namely Macrium Reflect. Unfortunately their free version is no longer available if you don’t want to buy. Although if you check the forum ‘backup, imaging & disk mgmt’/Macrium Reflect thread/post # 10387 by RAZA0007, there is a link to download the free version which is very reliable indeed.
    Macrium Reflect can be used to backup files and folders as well, but I'm not sure whether one can do it with the free version

11. swami

swami Registered Member

If you have Adguard for Windows you don't have to filter DNS (family with lists). I've got AG and their DNS-over-QUIC, which works very well.
    AG is based in Cyprus. I trust it more than any American company.

12. ellison64

Thanks..
    I read up on the acer page and apparently the ssd 250g is where windows is installed and programs get installed there too.The other drive is to store data such as photos vids or large docs data or anything Ichoose to move there, and is 1 terrabyte.It also mentioned that in the event of using acer recovery/reset the ssd only would be overwritten and the data drive still keeps whatever is on it which is good for backups too I guess.Ill checkout the free macrium disk

13. ellison64

My bad...I meant to say I choose the adguard dns family protection server ,option.as it blocks adult sites and.stuff.

14. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

Macrium free is about to, or has been discontinued. Only paid in the future.

Take a look in the following thread for suggestions: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/best-free-image-backup-for-windows-10-11.449199/page-7
    Internal backups is ok if you do not mind losing that data, if you do, external is necessary.

15. ellison64

16. blacknight

I'm thinking to buy a new pc, an All in One, naturally with Windows 11. I need to know:

1: does Comodo Defense+ works fine with 11 ?

2: which softwares to disable telemetry and all the other not essential services and functions ?

3: now I'm using an old, fine version of AppGuard (4.4.6.0 ), I don't want to purchase the new buy version: which similar softwares freeware can I use on 11 ?

4: all security advices will be welcome
    :)

17. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

1. no one should never put it on their own computer and even not on their enemy computer
    2. there is no need nothing to disable
    3. you don't need such a thing at all and never
    4. but first tell what treasure you have to protect

18. blacknight

Thank you, but sorry, it's not the kind of answers I want. I don't want to open a discuss about Windows 11 security, I only want some advices about my questions.

19. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

2. Maybe take a look at O&O Shutup 10 https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 . But be aware ticking to many boxes can/will bring problems. E.g. I had to figure out which to uncheck to get discords mic running again :D

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I like https://www.getblackbird.net/screenshots - the scan will show you basics. Note that many entries are related to MS account/services so disabling all of them will break it.
    Secure DNS/DOH is essential, especially since Windows 11 finally supports it on the system level. Cloudflare Malware or NextDNS and ControlID for more customizability.
    Adguard is originally based in Russia. Every business with a questionable background establishes HQ in Cyprus as a quick fix, it is a paradise for scammers/criminals.

21. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion, my friend! :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  22. blacknight

Thanks for all the advises. Any other about free antiexe or HIPS ?

23. blacknight

Any help for this ?

Attached Files:

24. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm running BitDefender GravityZone XDR with Patch Management. Good value at $8.00 a month.

25. blacknight

Thank you. In alternative to HIPS, there is some freeware anti exe ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.