new Vista user - unattended backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RichardSwe, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardSwe

RichardSwe Registered Member

I recently made a clean install on my home computer of Windows Vista Home Premium edition. (I like it so far.) I am trying to set up a backup program to run overnight (unattended), as I do with other PCs.

As advised by Vista, I normally run as a normal user, i.e. not an administrator. In the normal user environment some programs require an administrator password before they will run.

I have Acronis True Image 11 installed. It will run when I manually start it. When doing that, it first pops up a Vista User Account Control popup (a.k.a. UAC), requiring an administrator's password to access the program. Once I enter that password, it runs properly.

I've searched the internet a lot about the Vista UAC. The common advice is to be wary of bypassing it by deactivating UAC. There are good reasons to let Vista maintain this segmentation of user environments.

I have been trying to find a means to run Acronis overnight, however, because of the UAC popup, it always fails -- unattended...I'm not there to type in the password...so it can not run. I can read the log the next morning and it basically says there were insufficient permissions to run.

So, I am asking if there is a method to run Acronis as an unattended backup in Vista, while not disabling UAC.

I hope that is clear. Thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YOu could run a windows task to run trueimagehomeservice.exe with tha task file as the paramater and in the task properties for the windows task, specify the user name and password (use a user name with admin rights).

For ATI 11 the service is located in
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

and the script files are in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts

the command line would look like this (don't forget the colon):

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\12B4EF39-C27B-490D-A954-A4D917F2F793.tib.tis"

Of course, the scriptname will be diff. Edit an ATI task and change something to change the time-date stamp onthe script file and then you can which sciptname belongs to the one you just changed.

Another advantage of doing it this way is that a windwos task can wake a pc from standby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.