New version of Spy Sweeper is out ! Some caveats.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've been using the Spy Sweeper 5.5.7 build 124, version without antivirus, for quite some time.

Today I was offered a new version, 5.8.1.47.

I have no idea why they went from 5.5.7 to 5.8.

First I created an image in case I wanted to 'go back'.

Let's differentiate between the version WITH and WITHOUT antivirus.

I'm using the version without antivirus. I use Windows XP.

People tend to complain about bloat, but on my computer SS has never been bloatware. However, it's possible that this new version uses a bit more memory, but not much.

I may not use SS like the average user, there are quite a few things worth configuring and examining. I also manually load it at startup.

Warning: unless you use a customized install you'll probably end up with the ask.com toolbar (a despicable practise), I think it's opt-out.

You can also become a member of the WARN network, somewhat comparable to ThreatNet of Counterspy, but if you want maximum privacy, opt-out. The default on installation may be opt-in. (Don't forget to customize!)

I'm not pleased with the new GUI, I don't like the colors, but that doesn't really matter.

What is also new: a gaming mode, and a 'sweep for masked files', whatever that may mean.

So far, no problems.

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I'm guessing that means some form of detection of hidden files (especially against rootkits).

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so what your saying is you brought a program to get rid of the spys. but it turns out the application spys itself?
    definatly an oxymoron

4. ejames82

ejames82 Registered Member

spy sweeper wanted to "possess" your computer, and did whatever they deemed necessary to achieve that goal.
    does anyone know whether the ask toolbar turned good, or is it still spyware? there was talk that the ask toolbar has been reformed, and no longer spys.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

As I stated, there is a way around that.

Spying security software ? Examples: McAfee, I'll leave it to others to mention other programs.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've taken a look at their file system shield.

By default only files with certain extensions (there is a list) are scanned.

.html is part of that list.

But .shtml, .stm and .shtm are not part of that list.

I have seen those extensions often.

Would it make sense to add those three to the list ? I don't know enough to know if those files are a realistic security risk.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Okay, that was a VERY BAD version. I'll save myself some time and effort by not mentioning the details, but Webroot offers 5.5.7 as the latest version again. So I was not the only one who had problems.

Even system restore (Windows XP) did not work, I had to restore the image I made before I installed that broken version.

If only they would test it as a public beta before releasing it !

They have been at 5.5.7 for a long time now, maybe I need to ditch it.

They still have a brand name, but if they carry on like this, it won't last long !

8. rainbow1112

rainbow1112 Registered Member

i wonder why the full scan in v5.5 take 20+mins and v5.8 take 10+mins ...

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

may be a software improvement

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

You can avoid the installation of the Ask.com toolbar by first selecting the “Custom Installation” option when installing Spy Sweeper, and then disabling the option to install the toolbar.

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Interesting. I had no problems till I decided to perform a scan and, while the scan was running, I halted/aborted/stopped (whatever) the sweep in progress. Then my computer completely froze. I had to turn off the power !

I went back to an earlier Windows restore point, and the next time I performed a sweep my computer completely froze in the middle of a scan (I did not interrupt it).

So I had to restore to a previous image. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.