New version of ShadowDefender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by trjam, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hi Pete,

The exploit involved having physical access to the computer to install an executable via external media, which would hack into the password configuration permitting the person to set up another password to log in.

Kiddies, especially in colegios (schools) in South America, bragged on forums that they could hack DF. Also used in internet cafes.

Institutions I was familiar with in my area, had protection in place to prevent the running of the executable. Current versions of DF are not vulnerable to this.

----
    rich

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Blue this deserves to be a Golden Sticky. It applies to so many of the issues discussed on this forum:

(1) the merits of imaging v file data backup. file data back up might be that little bit safer but so what any difference is irrelevant.

same basic argument for:

(2) FD-ISR v other methods
    (3) Michelin Man layered security v simple protection

and on and on and on. So often debates degenerate to tribal loyalty tests - my program is better than yours because of some minor feature.

any way well said - Blue lightening

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

That is why, there is no better security then, "Wilders".:)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am having one continuing issue though, trying to get my daughters games to save. I know in Vista it is saving them to Users and documents and I have it excluded but not quite there yet.

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@trjam: I´m not an SD user myself, but since you can exclude files you could use filemon while playing/saving the games to trace which files you have to exclude.

/C.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, I dont know if it is going to work for me. My daughter just played Sims for an hour and the folder to save to is excluded. At the end of the session I exited out and rebooted. It did not save her games but did eat up about 15 gigs of hard drive space. So what the hell. I am getting tired of trying to figure this out. I deleted her games and got my space back but I checked before she started and after she finished and it was close to 15 gigs. So something got sved but it wasnt her game.o_O

7. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi Peter2150 .. u right... but whats that got to do with the facts DF OwNz!
    we talk on facts mate not in understanding SD labor pains hehe

cheers:thumb:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you really should get, "Hooked on Phonics.":rolleyes:

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't have a clue what you've said here.

10. demoneye

i will explain Peter2150 ...You right in SD is new in the market...(etc) mate hehe the only "YOU RIGHT" in this matter on compare SD to DP ..

and for trjam reply "you you really should get, "Hooked on Phonics " i hooked on what winz. what is the best from all other kids in the block....

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just wondering..., did you even read this post?

Blue

12. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Are you high on something? I don´t understand what you are saying...

/C.

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You're wrong, my friend. Deep Freeze has been beaten in the past
    Light virtualization software are very strong, but not 100 % bullet-proof.

14. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Whew! I thought maybe it was just me...too old and out of it!

15. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Me too. I just skip over his posts.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Just for the record, yes DF has been violated dearly in the past, a distant past. Since July 2006, version 6 has removed that fear and to this day, that ugly Unfreezer from South America has failed to deliver his promise. To DF users, enjoy yours , no fears.

DF has two versions: enterprise and standard; targeting two different markets.
    You do not have to be a pro to use standard version, as to enterprise version, that is geared for IT Adm. managing more than 10 workstations.

DF has its ups and downs, IMO, it is in its prime time, and all others are doing catching up games.

Take care.

17. demoneye

HI

new ver of shdow defender almost out for public (131) coz found some busg that fix ASAP by tonny ( SD owner) i must admit i am TOTALY impressed by his support!! i consider buy this progy seriously

cheersssss:thumb:

18. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

cool!

BTW, did the tonny notice this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6TJ0aM89Q ? Hope he/she can fix this part as soon as possible.

19. demoneye

its look like some sort of attack against the mbr...hard to read chainess for me lol.

but...there will always be a new tool to atack mbr..best way is combine anti exeacutable from faronic with SD . thats way nothig can harm the pc totaly

cheers:cautious:

20. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

I think the author of SD is a chinese. he can understand it well.

yes and no. If this technology which can bypass the SD and wirte data to any sector is used by other virus and spywares, I wonder if the AE can help any more.

White.

21. Peter2150

I would say no on AE. It's problem is the malware will problaby come packaged in something the author hopes you trust. With AE, you have to totally disable it to do an install. Once you enable it you have whitelisted the program, so any embedded malware is now trusted.

Pete

22. Long View

Perhaps the best explanation I have seen as to why AE may be of little benefit ? causes minor irritations for years and then just when it is needed human weakness allows the program to fail. The gods of the computer world do have a sense of humor after all.

23. Peter2150

Longview

AE has a big benefit where it was intended. Namely on computers that never change, and people don't want change. You install AE, password protect it, and it's great. A user simply can't install or run anything else. For that it's perfect. But to use it in place of stuff like eqs/prosecurity/ssm/oa you do have to be aware of it's weak spot, which is the install process of new software.

Pete

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If it is an executable, AE will stop it and remove it.

Installing NEW objects is always YOUR decision and if you don't do any verification or research, you might install a bad object. That's a discipline for all users, no matter what security they have on their computers.
    Since internet is full of new objects many users don't like that discipline, because the fun is over. I had alot more fun on the internet, when I was a total newbie unaware of any malware. Now I have to pay attention to every move I make on the internet. :)

PS: there have been quite a few tests with nasty malware (low level HDD changes), but none of these tests were done with AE on board, because AE was a problem during these tests because the malware couldn't execute itself.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  25. Long View

Thanks Peter. I know I'm taking this a bit OT but I find that a certain irony surrounds AE. EA works best for user who are static or make few changes. I would have thought those who make few changes were probably less likely to get infected than those who make constant changes suggesting that AE works best for those who need it the least and best for those who would be driven mad by enabling and disabling. Just to create a tenuous link and get back OT I would have thought that for those who make few changes that SD would be ideal and AE a fairly pointless addition. Absolute security is an impossibility and once basic protection and practice are in place adding extras can be expected to provide very little benefit ( diminishing marginal returns).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.