New version of CCleaner and Windows Event Logs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Just curious, has anyone had any luck getting the new version to detect Windows Event Logs? I updated just to see how the new feature works but so far it hasn't cleaned any that I can see. I keep my Event Logs to a minimum anyway by restricting their max size, but was interested to see how CCleaner handles them.

The CCleaner INI doesn't point to any specific folder but uses a "special key." I'm using Vista and the path is C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs, at least that's the path to the files I assumed CCleaner would clean. I'm starting to wonder if by "Windows Event Logs" CCleaner means something other than what I think it does.

2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have W7 x64 and CCleaner cleans all windows logs in event viewer here.

3. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Same result with XP-SP3

4. allizomeniz

Appreciate the replies.

I did a clean install and it's still not working in Vista or XP. I know there are event logs there but why CC won't detect them I have no a clue. Every time I turn around something else is wrong with this program. I'm starting to think it just doesn't like me. :D

Oh well, I'll just forget about it and go back to my previous version. It does everything I need anyhow.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

allizomeniz I'm just mentioning this in case you hadn't noticed.

In order to get the Windows Event Viewer log files cleaned you have to tick the box especially for it under the 'Advanced' section.

After you tick it, you will get a warning that these logs will be cleaned and that sometimes they are used for troubleshooting.

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Wow! Great catch, stapp! Indeed that log file box needs to be ticked because event log cleaning is not "on" by default.

Attached Files:

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm glad it's not turned on by default :) I look at mine quite a lot.

Also note that when you clean those logs there will be no 'amounts cleaned' shown in the summary window, however when you check your event viewer logs all past entries will now be gone.

8. allizomeniz

I've already reverted back to a previous version, but if I update in the future this'll be good to know. It seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle. I didn't check my logs immediately after running CC, but I didn't see anything in the summary and assumed CC wasn't detecting anything. This is a big bug if you ask me. :thumbd:

I did tick the box before my original posting. It's easy to overlook the obvious sometimes though so I appreciate the suggestion. :thumb:

9. DBone

DBone Registered Member

It's just like the Tray Notifications setting, it also does not show up in the summary window after running CCleaner.

10. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

yeah noticed it also is off by default.... great option for ccleaner, also noticed sandboxie showed up under apps after this new version so ticked that too !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.