New version : ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4.0.437.0 released

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nanana1, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodean

bodean Registered Member

RTM "is not" beta.
    :doubt:

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Does v3 work well with Vista SP2?

Regards,

Mark.

3. a_kerbouchard

a_kerbouchard Registered Member

This sucks. I have 30 servers to remove 4.0.424. and go back to version 3. Uninstall doesn't work.I have to use Killbox to get rid of the Ekrn.exe service and reinstall version 3 after manuall removal. Workstations are fine, but I am concerned about how future upgrades are going to go. If we have to manually do this for future upgrades to 600 desktops I will not be happy.

4. a_kerbouchard

killbox doesn't even work. Worked once. I dont have sufficient privileges to remove the software. Oh really I am a local and domain admin. Nice. Worse than a virus.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

RTM

Short for Release To Manufacturing, the version of a software product that is given to manufacturers to bundle into future versions of their products.

RTM versions are typically released to manufacturers before they are released to the general public so that the manufacturers can work out any bugs the software may encounter with their products.

The release of an RTM version does not necessarily mean that the creators have worked out all the problems with the software; there still may be more versions of the product before it is released to the general public.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't see any compelling reason to move from 424 to the new version.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

For those having problems, it might be helpful to upgrade.
    Changelog

8. subhum4n

subhum4n Registered Member

9. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

It's scheduled for public release on 2009 Q2, this means this month or June, though most likely June(I think).
    And as someone mentioned, yes RTM is final version. I already have it on DVD from Technet, but currently it is not available for public yet(except Technet/MSDN subscribers and other who can get hold of it earlier).
    And for now temporary fix is to disable self-protection in advanced setup. I know it's not official fix, but hey at least it works :) Self-protection is a new feature to V4, so by disabling it temporary we still get all new features of V4 except well....self protection :)

note: to disable it you must roll the dice so to speak to get one of those times when NOD32 starts up ok. Otherwise you can't disable self protection because it's protected by self protection which is not working correctly :)

10. a_kerbouchard

Well I watched n waited. Thought I was good for server installs. I cant even uninstall the version 4 now after random crashing/remote desktop issues. Glad Im leaving IT n going back to school. But Ill will leave my two cents. Will only cost ESET $20,000.

11. vulliw

vulliw Registered Member

Thanks for this temporary fix

vulliw

12. Elisa Tese Rotca

Elisa Tese Rotca Registered Member

Thats exactly my point! :D
    Thanks "thequest".

13. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

RTM is final code.
    It means software has reached defined quality level and is ready for mass production. RTM is also known as "going gold".
    Usually there is a time window between RTM and GA(general availability)in a software life cycle, but it's not to test and change code but instead other preparations like to complete all commercialization activities, print discs, set up servers etc.
    And as SmackyTheFrog mentioned below - for 3rd parties to sort out their compatibility issues.
    Testing and changing was done in Beta and RC stages.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  14. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

You seem to be under the impression that Microsoft writes Eset's software and frankly that is wrong. The gap between RTM and a public release is for 3rd parties to sort out their compatibility issues exactly like this one.

15. UglyChild

UglyChild Registered Member

Still not fixed for SP2?? This is just so awesome!!!

:rolleyes:

16. abhinavk

abhinavk Registered Member

Today, Service Pack 2 for Vista and Server 2008 has been relseased all over the world. Check out Microsoft Download Center. Soon it will be on Windows Update.

Now ESET, what urs progress.

Using ESET NOD32 Antivirus on 4.0.314.0 on Vista Ultimate SP1 x86
    No OS (formatted) on Vista Home Premium SP2 x64

Does this problem also exist on x86 systems

17. ICA

ICA Registered Member

For me it looks like the problem only persists on x64 platforms.
    I have installed SP2 on four Vista x86 machine with Eset 4.0.437 without any problems. Also one SP2 installation on a 2008 x86 machine worked without problems. i have tested SP2 on two x64 Win2008 machines and then the problems started. I have reverted to Eset version 3.0.684 on those x64 SP2 machines and that is working fine again.

Kind regards,

Rene.

18. ICA

ICA Registered Member

So far my theory....
    I have two identical Vista Home SP1 computers (even same hardware) with both the same Eset 4.0.437 version.
    I have both upgraded with SP2 x86 for Vista and one is running fine now and the other one has a bad feeling about Eset version 4....
    Realtime file protection is not working anymore.
    I have tried several things, also a clean reinstallation of Eset V4 but without success.
    Now I have reversed that one machine to Eset version 3, and the problems are gone...

Rene.

19. ICA

ICA Registered Member

20. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

21. ICA

ICA Registered Member

No problemo...
    Two of my Vista machines with SP2 and a problematic V4 installation are working fine now. Without running the msi as administrator they were complaining about an unprotected filesystem (red eset picture) and now it is OK (green).
    Let's hope this solution seems stable.

And when I think about this solution it actually makes sense for me...
    Again strange that the Eset programmers were not able to prevent these kind of failure by modifying the installer. The installer should just run elevated....

Rene.

22. Metallian

Metallian Registered Member

I've been running NOD32 4.0.424.0 without problems for several weeks now under Vista x64 SP2 (leaked RTM version :rolleyes:).
    Just installed 4.0.437.0. (as administrator)

It's running without any problems also. :)

I don't think it's a problem caused by a bug or something in the Eset software.
    It looks like Vista SP2 introduced a bug in the UAC.
    My 2 cents...

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  23. UglyChild

UglyChild Registered Member

And what about other million users that arent computer savvy? What are they going to do to solve this issue?

Ohh wait, i know.. swtich to Norton.

:rolleyes:

UAC is not the issue, and M$ is not going to do a damn thing about it to fix it just to please ESET users.

24. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An issue with ESET's V4 software and Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 2008 has been identified and the developers are working on a solution for it. Currently, I do not have any information about when it will be available or what form it will take, but as soon as more information is available it will be provided.

A special thanks to those who sent in ESET SysInspector logs to help troubleshoot the problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

25. elyoh

elyoh Registered Member

Well it came on Windows Update (i.e. Public Release) and I have many of the issues described. No warning from ESET, lucky I prevented it from installing on my main machine, not so luck on the laptop :mad: , which updated before I was aware of problems. As one guy here said, it won't uninstall because of "admin permissions" - it is worse than a virus :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.