New VeraCrypt Version Released

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JRViejo, Oct 17, 2016.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning the audit results. FTA:
    https://ostif.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/VeraCrypt-Audit-Final-for-Public-Release.pdf (PDF)

Interesting:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

VeraCrypt 1.19 fixes security vulnerabilities

-- Tom

4. The Count

The Count Registered Member

5. mood

mood Registered Member

There is a serious bug which affects the rescue disk.
    If the rescue disk (created with VeraCrypt 1.19) is being used to decrypt the system partition, it doesn't decrypt the first 50 MB (this affects only EFI system decryption)
    This is fixed with VeraCrypt 1.20 Beta:

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Perfectly functioning EFI code is a brutal task for non-paid teams to finish. Its a definite work in progress. I don't use VC for system disks anymore so I can only report on what I read about.

7. mood

mood Registered Member

[QUOTE"]Perfectly functioning EFI code is a brutal task for non-paid teams to finish. Its a definite work in progress[/QUOTE]
    The EFI-Code was added with v1.18, only some months ago. And support for EFI hidden OS functionality was added recently (latest beta).
    Yes, it's really a work in progress. I think the EFI-Code needs some time to be "mature enough".

But nevertheless VeraCrypt is a good choice.
    Algorithms are optimized from time to time, it will have less "TrueCrypt vulnerabilities" with each new released version, the password can be entered on a Secure Desktop now (v1.20Beta 2), etc.

Edit: If the user decrypted the EFI system partition with the Rescue Disk of VeraCrypt v1.19 and now has 50MB not decrypted data, there is a patch available. Instructions and download links are below:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Mood,

I agree with your VC code assessment. Frankly, and like a broken record at times, its not VC code that I have a problem with. Trying to make the Windows OS secure is where I come up with "migraines".

9. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Very happy to hear they're looking at Secure Desktop, that's worthwhile, and it's been available on KeePass a while.

I have developed for using Secure Desktop, it's one of the weirdest things you ever did see from a UI point of view, and won't run directly from a WPF application. But well worthwhile to raise the bar on KSL, I also have it set in group policy for any privilege escalation, so you enter it from Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then enter any passwords in the Secure Desktop only.

10. mood

mood Registered Member

The future of the project is not clear:
    Edit: The main developer is back and the release of VeraCrypt v1.20 is near:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017 at 11:37 PM