New User Compatibality Questions

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ohdarn, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Hello:
    Just downloaded the most current version of spyware blaster. I would like to know a couple of things I could not find out.

1. I am also using Spybot Search and Destroy should or should'nt I use the immunize feature of Spybot?

2. Is it ok to use Spybot to lock the home page?

3. When Spwyare Blaster does block something do I get notified what it is incase I do not want it blocked.

4. Are there any known websites that are not spy sites affected by Spyware Blaster?

Thats it just want to know before I use the progaram and kill something I did not want to kill.

Thanks

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

1)As you may know....the Immunize function of Spybot adds sites to IE's Restricted Zone and adds sites to the Per Site cookie handling feature in IE. Based on that info only....hopefully that let's you determine whether to select that feature.

2)Locking the Home page function....only locks it against change from users that can physically access the computer.

3)The 2 main protection features of SpywareBlaster....Internet Explorer installation prevention(ActiveX-based spyware, dialers, etc. and spyware/tracking cookies) and Restricted Sites(restrict the actions of spyware/ad/tracking sites)....does not offer notification.

4)The ActiveX CLSID's, Per Site Cookies and Restricted Sites lists are part of the database Javacool(owner\programmer of SpywareBlaster) compiled and the sites are listed because they were determined to be spyware-related or unwanted software such as dialers, browser hijackers, and adware.

3. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Was not sure how the programs worked just testing on a old computer before putting into my main machine.

The information you provided leads me to believe that since both programs put sites in the restricted zone that I can safely just use Spyware Blaster and forget about the immunize portion of Spybot since Spyware Blaster goes a step further. However I will use Spybot to help clean up anything that could sneek by.

Vince

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Good plan....especially the part about using both programs....since layered protection has it's benefits.

5. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

There is no problem in using the immunize feature in Spybot as well as Spywareblaster; Spybot has a few sites that Spywareblaster does not, and Spywareblaster has many more than Spybot (as acknowledged in Spybot on its immunize page, where it encourages you to use it if it finds it on your system). No harm can come for the cases they have in common, any entry in the registry only appears the once. The only slight hickup would be if you had immunized as well as using spywareblaster, then undoing either of them would show incomplete protection in the other, as whatever entries they have in common would then have been removed. Not hard to put right in either case.

I have used both together without any problems over a long time and several updates of each.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally would suggest that you run SB s/d immunize and spywareblaster see screen shot of sb s/d the two programs enhance each other.

Attached Files:

7. Ohdarn

Ohdarn Registered Member

Sounds good to me. What I was afraid of was the possibility of conflict which was explained will be no problem.

Will try both together when I actually get them installed.

I actually finished testing my machine with the programs I have downloaded and now know what I want to put on XP and what I don't.

Thanks all
    Vince

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.