New user' be gentle

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sharper9, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharper9

sharper9 Registered Member

Hi

I have just started using True Image Home 11 and would like a little help. I have a corrupted folder on my system and I have been advised by MS to do the following. I have tried everything else bye the bye.

"To resolve this issue, back up the volume that contains the corrupted file(s) and exclude the corrupted file(s) from the backup job. Reformat the volume, and then restore from the backup. "

Its the excluding on restore bit for a image that 'm not sure about.

Is this doable with TIH v11?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't have TI11 but there is a new feature in it that apparently will exclude files on making an image backup. Look in the TI user guide for more info about it but it appears that you can exclude folders from the backup when you create it. When you restore it the excluded folder(s) will not be present.

You don't say if you have successfully done a restore using TI before. If you haven't then you are living dangerously since you have no idea if it really works on your system. It will boot into a Linux recovery environment and if the drivers don't like your PC then you are done.

The next best test, a test restore to a spare HD is best, is to make an image and then boot up the TI rescue CD and do a validate on the image. If it is successful you likely will be OK other than potential boot problems especially if you have a multi-boot system.

If I were you and if important data files are on the system such as pictures, spreadsheets, letters, etc, I could copy all of them to CD or an external HD before doing anything. You can always restore Windows and apps with a bit of time but the personal data files are available nowhere else.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You could also exclude this folder when making the image.

Colin

4. sharper9

Thx guys for that

I did a image back-up when I first got TI11 but it corrupted when I restored it from one of my USB drives. :(

I then restored it too one of my other USB drives ok. That saved my life as I could then get all my mail docs etc back.

The email back-up on TI11 for Outlook and Oexpress, I use both, looks broken as it did not restore anything of use, how have others found this?

I'm going to give TI11 some more time but it better start performing as it says on the tin so to speak or I will have to look elsewhere for a back-up solution.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sharper9,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify, what exactly went wrong? Were there any error messages? When did they appear? What did they say? Have the image validated successfully after creation, and before restoring?

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. sharper9

Hi Marat

I just had an error, which I did not note, after 3 hours of disc activity. I was so annoyed and started reinstalling ALL software from scratch :'(

I'm going to give it one more try later this week backing up the image to my 250GB Lacie USB drive, minus the corrupted directory, then formatting the C: drive and restoring from my Lacie USB drive. I have reformatted this USB drive.

I WILL be validating after I make the image and again before restoring, I did not do this the first time I created an image.

Marat any other tips you could give me would be much appreciated.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Boot from the TI Recovery CD and validate the image on the LaCie drive from the recovery (Linux) environment.

If you can validate the backup from the boot CD, there's a very high probability that it will restore correctly. If you can't validate it, then it's not likely to restore and that could leave you with an unbootable system.

A BartPE boot disk is likely to allow you to restore the backup since it uses Windows drivers.

8. sharper9

I booted from the TI Recovery CD and could not see the my named file on the Lacie usb drive straight away. I had to open a few directories until I found a .tib file, not the one I named though, it did verified successfully BUT this did not take much more than 3 minutes which I thought was to short a time?

On further investigation of the Lacie drive I now have THREE versions of my backup/image, steve1,steve2 and steve3. Is this correct?

I have downloaded the BartPE file from the site what do I do now?
    How do exclude directories from the image restore or delete from the image (these files are corrupted)?

I have to say that this is getting over complicated and I'm now wondering if an alternative to Acronis is not the right move? ~Off topic comment removed.~

I look forward to your reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you use 'backup places' or decide for yourself where to place the images?

If you chose the default 'backup place' this is actually on your main drive in a hidden folder - see my tag where to delete temp files and the Acronis backup place is one directory up.

TI 11 behaves slightly differently depending on if you use the backup place, or just image to another drive. This might be why you now have 3 files. OTOH, the size of your files and the date and time modified would suggest that you have a main image and two incremental or more likely two differential files seeing as how small the additional images are.

Colin

10. sharper9

Hi Colin

I choose to backup my C: image to my Drive E Lacie 250GB. I now need to delete a corrupted directory before I "TRY" to restore. And as for verifying the image, who can tell! Not impressed

This becoming so over complicated. o_O

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Before you delete your corrupted directory, have you tried running checkdisk /r on it?

I've just reread your first post, wasn't the directory/folder corrupted before you tried to image it? If so, then TI is unlikely to have caused the image problem.

Do you know where to exclude the folder at imaging time with TI?

If you have TI on your Windows system, does mounting the image allow you access to what you want?

Some people have had problems with the email backup option. I don't use that myself, partly because I use PocoMail, which most programs like TI and NOD32 can't find and partly because my emails get saved in the main image.

Colin

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  12. sharper9

thx Colin, yes I have tried chkdsk /r with no effect.

No it was corrupted after the image.
    Cant see where to delete the corruption on the image or before creating the image. BUT I am new to all this and but have also RTFM but not cover too cover.

o_O

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sharper9,

We are sorry for delayed response.

If the directory became corrupted some time after you have created an image, you can just restore the image overwriting the partition that contains corrupted directory.

The exclusion option when creating disk/partition image is presented right after you choose what disks/partition you want to image. Please see chapter 5 "Creating backup archives" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.