New to using Ghost Wall

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by RonnieBoyUK, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonnieBoyUK

RonnieBoyUK Registered Member

Hi I'm new to using GhostWall. I switched to it as I transfered to Win XP x64 and none of the leading Internet Security teams seem to have got a Firewall working for x64, seems they're all waiting for Windows Vista code, or something like that, I'm not sure.

Anyways, I'm having trouble letting some apps access the net properly with GhostWall. Such as eMule and Steam, as eMule connects but won't give me high ID and won't connect to KAD and with ghostwall active using Steam, it normally can't see any servers and when it does it can't can't connect to them. I've tried inputing the various TCP and UDP rules to allow them to access ok but they still can't connect properly.

I'm not very experienced using firewall software, as with the main Firewall teams when you use an app it brings up a dialog asking whether you want it to allow the program or not! But with this you've got to input rules yourself and I think I've inputted them correctly but I'm not 100% sure!

Like I said I'm on win x64 behind a router with a firewall enabled (with the appropriate ports opened so certain things can run), I've also still got windows firewall on as well, whilst having GhostWall running!

Any ideas on how to get GhostWall to let my apps connect to the net alright? Or is this a conflict from having GhostWall running with Windows Firewall as well? Any help would be appreciated! :)

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi RonnieBoyUK

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Have you created the necessary exceptions in the Windows Firewall?

Anything showing up in any of your logs as to what is being blocked (router and software firewall logs)?
    It is generally recommended to run only one software firewall on your system.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. RonnieBoyUK

RonnieBoyUK Registered Member

Well I haven't manually created any exceptions in windows firewall, I just click unblock when the various apps access the internet.

I've always heard bad things about windows firewall which was why I wanted another fire wall on my computer. I had Mcafee ISS 2005 installed when I was on win 2k but that was a resource hog, plus the fact I was told a new version compatible with x64 systems wouldn't be about till late this year or early next, so I opted for Ghostwall, as it's free, and I read some good things about it over at planetamd64.com

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

For steam, add these ALLOWS :-

Description | Protocol/Action | Local IP | Local Port| Remote IP | Remote Port
    Steam | Allow TCP or UDP Incoming | Any | Any | Any | 27000-27040
    Steam | Allow UDP Incoming | Any | Any | Any | 1200

This is tested with Counterstrike: SOURCE, but it should work with nearly all steam online games in GhostWall.

5. MawOfInsanity

MawOfInsanity Registered Member

Is there anything that I should know before instaling Ghost Wall. I'm new to FireWalls in genral, and the only thing I know is the defult version isn't that great for WinXP. If someone would inform me of what is needed to do before and after would be great as well, but if you don't want to deal with a n00b. I'll understand. I just want to know before hand since this appears to be the best out there that is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.