New to TDS-3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by polak, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polak

polak Registered Member

Downloaded trial version of TDS-3. I understand that Antivirus program should be shut down while TDS-3 is scanning. Is it sufficent to shut down the AutoProtect in the Antivirus program of Norton System Works 2003 I have on my system while TDS-3 is scanning. Also have Spybot, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, Ad-Aware on my system. Anything I need to disable in those programs while running TDS-3 scano_O?

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

When using any anti-virus or anti-trojan scanners it's always a good idea to disable/turn off any other anti-virus or anti-trojan scanners that are running. Usually the only scanners you'll need to turn off are the resident ones that scan a file as soon as it is accessed, because if you leave those running while you scan you'll probably encounter race conditions such as where two scanners essentially compete to scan the file, and if the first scanner locks access to the file then the second scanner may encounter issues such as not being able to obtain read access.

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

NOD32 and TDS-3 each can scan without shutting down the other one here. Not a single problem. ;)

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

That's a good question Eliot ;) and I must admit I had never give it a second thought when scanning with TDS myself.

I am currently using Trend Micro's PC-Cillin 2003 and have the following things running when scanning with TDS3.

Real Time Monitor of PC-Cillin
    SpywareGuard
    Kerio Firewall
    SpywareBlaster's "kill" bits installed.

Haven't had a conflict at all for me.

However, Wayne's response is probably the "correct" way to do things, as if something happens [hang, crash, etc.] you won't really be sure what the cause was. I just never gave it a second thought myself. :D

XP PRO.

Cheers, TAS

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Heya Tassie Mate!
    good to see you around more again!
    They wouldn't dare to bite with that avatar of yours, so they can only behave nice.

6. polak

polak Registered Member

Thanks very much for your replies and information

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.