New to NOD32: What Firewall And Antispyware To Use??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jolli, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irrationalgeek

irrationalgeek Registered Member

Re: New 2 NOD32: What Firewall And Antispyware To Use??

:eek: Noooo, hell Noooo. Eset may profess to do Antispyware as well as antivirus but that's a foolish claim. When I used Nod it wasn't unusual for me to do a scan on the family's computer and find three or five Spyware's like Vundo that Nod didn't even raise an eyebrow at. o_O

Add SAS with Nod32 and you really are going to be doing very well in with antivirus and antimalware. *puppy*

2. jolli

jolli Registered Member

wow! thanks for all the replies.
    sorry ive had a few Microsoft issues.

i do online scans occasionally, but what concerns me is
    what traces they leave behind in my computer,
    and possibilitys of conflicting with my Resident AV.

decisions decisions.

3. jolli

jolli Registered Member

Thanks Escalader

4. jolli

jolli Registered Member

Hi Brian,
    im told that NOD v.3 will have firewall.
    ill be quite interested in ESS to.

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I agree with Brian N, except that I came to that conclusion quite awhile ago. All the money, time, and hassle spent with a vast number of anti-ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ utilities installed can be as bad as having malware on the machine.

What I find ironic is that the people who claim to know all about spyware and other malware, what works and what doesn't, what caught or missed malware on their systems... They are (quite by definition, unless they administrate the machines of other users) usually the same people who repeatedly get hit by malware. And if you get hit so often that you rrrrrrrrreally know what works or doesn't work, I've just got to take a few steps back, whistling, hands behind my back, if you know what I mean.

Unless you're a researcher, malware analyst, administrator, technical consultant or something, you shouldn't have much if any experience with actual malware being on your system. And if you do, why would you proffer advice, other than "Don't do what I do"?

I can anticipate the "Well if someone gets malware, they know what works!" argument. But I'm talking about pure credibility.

6. guest

guest Guest

Jolli, I recently started using NOD32, what anti-spyware and firewall did you decide on?

If anyone else has additional ideas, please let me know. I just got a bad vundo infection cleared up and want to avoid that happening again, if possible.

The support people for NOD32 are fantastic. They spent a great deal of time helping me clean up my machine.

Ron

7. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

wait for Eset Smart Security ... should be coming VERY shortly....

8. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I tried several firewalls, beginning with Windows'. and ended my search with Online Armor. OA is good, small ramprint, and has fewer problems than Comodo. Now I have Eset Smart Security. I don't believe that using a suite means that you have forsaken a layered approach. Here are the programs that I consider security, not including the ondemand anrirootkit, antispyware, and antiTrojan.

ISP
    router
    Sandboxie
    Mozilla Firefox
    (with NoScript, McAfee SiteAdvisor, Cookie Culler, Cookie Safe, PayPal Plug-in, KeyScrambler, & Web Developer extensions)

Eset Smart security
    firewall
    web access protection
    real time file protection
    email protection
    I don't use the antispam; it only works with OE and Outlook
    SpywareBlaster
    Mozilla Thunderbird
    , with addon "Allow HTML temp" to toggle from plain text to html for trusted emails. I use Thunderbird's spamfilter.

I believe that you will see in this the layered security approach. I add that the OS, XP Pro SP2, has been hardened (unneed services disabled et cetera) and local security and password policies in place. Simple file sharing is off.

Ondemand:

ewido antispyware micro scanner
    IceSword
    Panda Antirootkit
    Prevx CSI
    RootkitRevealer
    Trojan Remover

I used either ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, or ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware. ZA has too many features, more than I need or want; ZAfree doesn't protect enough. Eset Smart Security has the core, the most important, a firewall, antivirus, antispyware, and antispam. I have the fewest realtime security programs, that use few resources with effective security.

9. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I agree with Nameless. I have an antivirus and a firewall so I can surf where I want and when I want. I don't buy into that "safe surfing" gibberish, that's why I have the aforementioned AV/FW. Nor do I go to malware sites and bombard my system with malware/viruses just to test it out. I have never been infected regardless of what A/V I've used over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.